Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Celera 500L (and high altitude discussion)

Which countries allow single engine for public transport, day or night and away from glide range of an airport?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

OK; so we have another Vern Raburn and Eclipse. He burnt through $1BN by the end.

Yes, but there is a fundamental difference between the Celera project and all the Eclipse type things. Celera haven’t done any promotion, or asked for any deposits, to fund the project. It has all been funded by the founder and investors, whoever they may be. To my mind this makes it a whole lot more interesting. I am really looking forward to see where this project goes.

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

@Buckerfun, what was wrong with Eclipse?

EGTR

Eclipse thread, and above.

Apart from the sub-$1M selling price requiring the engines to come at about 100k each, not much

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Which countries allow single engine for public transport, day or night and away from glide range of an airport?

Single engine turbine, as long as the aircraft has a pressurized cabin. A 12 cylinder diesel, no way. This aircraft is a SEP after all, only the engine has at least 3x as many parts that can fail compared with a O-360 Also, what about icing? What will it do to the performance of this laminar marvel, and how to remove it?

I don’t know, this aircraft is intriguing indeed. If it only had a turbine is my main thought.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Peter wrote:

Eclipse thread, and above.

Apart from the sub-$1M selling price requiring the engines to come at about 100k each, not much

@Peter, Eclipse at least had some components OK! :)
It had OK airframe, normal engines, if only they had good avionics and electrics…
That’s the reason I was asking the question that Eclipse comparion – Celera feels more vapourware…

EGTR

Peter wrote:

and away from glide range of an airport

From FL600 even a brick must have a decent glide distance, and airports aren’t that sparse… ;-)

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

Perhaps the engine is not such a bad choice for a prototype, especially one that is primarily trying to test an aerodynamic idea. If the concept works, the piston could stay for the drone, and be replaced with a turbine for passenger use.
The eclipse was an attempt to build a light jet of certain size and cost, but no massive aerodynamic innovation.

Ted
United Kingdom

Would a TP engine make enough power at FL600?

A jet engine is not “turbocharged”; it is normally aspirated.

Come to think of it, how does this piston engine make FL600? Must have the mother of all blowers on the front.

Administrator

Certifying a ceiling of FL600 is a challenge. If pressurization fails, you have maybe 0,5 s to react.

According to Part 135.89, " Whenever a pressurized aircraft is operated at altitudes above 35,000 feet MSL, at least one pilot at the controls shall wear, secured and sealed, an oxygen mask required by paragraph (b)(2)(i) of this section. "

LFOU, France
Sign in to add your message