Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Celera 500L (and high altitude discussion)

I totally agree. But I bet they can prove (on paper) that this thing is reliable. And then there is economics. Has anybody seen a price tag for the engine?

EDQH, Germany

Looking at prices of other aero engines, I can’t see it going for less than 100k-200k.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

More or less their entire claim. Looks like one of these aviation projects which consume a lot of investor money and then go out of business. Maybe hoax is the wrong word. Flop is better. Couldn’t change it anymore.

Last Edited by EuroFlyer at 06 Sep 08:33
Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

In that case “scam” would be the word.

A lot of startups are borderline scams. It’s a matter of the precise motives. Mostly they are done in good faith (i.e. no intention to commit fraud) but recklessly. The Eclipse VLJ?

Some will argue the line is crossed when investors are drawn in who do not have the full information, and lose a lot of money which they can’t afford to lose.

I am sure this is not a scam but the dual redundant engine is clearly bollox. A failure on just one of the 12 cylinders means game over, within minutes if not much sooner.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

The Eclipse VLJ?

What’s wrong with that one?
It actually flies… :)

EGTR

@Peter – agree, except but for me, the problem starts with that engine claim… then what else is bollox ? And don’t mention all the stuff with one engine feeding a pressure cabin at that height.

Too many inconsistencies.

Last Edited by EuroFlyer at 06 Sep 09:18
Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

OK; so we have another Vern Raburn and Eclipse. He burnt through $1BN by the end.

I wasn’t following it closely back then but here is a great post-mortem by the famous Mac McClellan. As a contributor to the shoe licking publication he wasn’t allowed to publish this earlier.

That was a fantasy project, too.

Administrator

It is a piston engine. And piston engines do have a higher failure rate then a turbine. This thing is a monster and it is heavy, and it is not redundant. There are single engine high performance planes with Jet A1 fuel. They’re called SET. A turbine isn’t redundant either, but it carries much less risk of failure. Less failure risk in aviation has a common denominator: Dollars. I don’t see the economics of that whole Diesel 500hp piston engine FL 650 pressure cabin idea. The only good thing about it, is at that height you won’t have long to realize your engine is gone because you exactly need one short breath until unconsciousness.
But then, what do I know.

Last Edited by EuroFlyer at 06 Sep 09:37
Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

EuroFlyer wrote:

The only good thing about it, is at that height you won’t have long to realize your engine is gone because you exactly need one short breath until unconsciousness.
But then, what do I know.

I’m sure you do know that cabin pressure doesn’t disappear instantly if the engine stops even at FL650 and also that oxygen is carried. Of course in the case of an explosive decompression you’re toast, but then it wouldn’t help with more engines.

I am also doubtful about this project but that doesn’t mean that we have to exaggerate.

At least the thing flies.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 06 Sep 09:49
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Yes I know. Just sayin‘.

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany
Sign in to add your message