Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Diamond DA42-VI as a good Scandiavia / Euro tourer? vs Cirrus SR22?

Not quite sure what the “interesting avionics” are on the JetProp but those I’ve looked at lately had either a G500 or a G600 up front. Change the autopilot with a GFC600 fed by a GTN750 and you’re good for another 20 years from now.

T28
Switzerland

The Malibu, Meridian or any other pressurized single or twin are traveling machines and aren’t much good for (local) sight seeing or for making pictures.

If the OP looks for a combination of travel and sight seeing, and wants a modern aircraft (however you want to define that), the Cirrus and the Diamond make sense.

However, he’s early in his flying career, and his ‘mission profile’ will probably evolve. He may initially mostly enjoy local VFR, get bored and do traveling mostly, and may later even reverse that. The Cirrus and the Diamond are a good compromise. I’d argue that the Diamond offers more safety to do sight seeing in the stunningly beautiful but (aviation-wise) hostile Norwegian fjord environment.

An idea could be to have two aircraft; a travel machine and a tool for local bimbling, preferable a helicopter.

Another way would be to buy one aircraft and to rent one for the “less frequent” missions.

The OP is early in his flying career. He could consider renting for a year or two and getting to know various aircraft types and various missions, with a safety pilot as needed. I’m pretty sure most of the owners here got into renting first before owning. I certainly did.

Poor OP. He basically started out with asking opinions on the Cirrus and the Diamond and is now confronted with enough options to make it a three dimensional chess game

Last Edited by aart at 21 Mar 15:06
Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Not quite sure what the “interesting avionics” are on the JetProp but those I’ve looked at lately had either a G500 or a G600 up front. Change the autopilot with a GFC600 fed by a GTN750 and you’re good for another 20 years from now.

I always know how to get you to pop up, T28

Presumably people have found a way to get around this but nobody has yet managed to post any numbers and procedures. Perhaps now “somebody” can? I see Garmin support the PT6 on the Gx00 TXi.

He could consider renting for a year or two and getting to know various aircraft types and various missions, with a safety pilot as needed.

The usual issue with that is that, in most places, you can’t rent anything that isn’t a shagged old heap. And even if you can, usually there are constraints on how long it can be taken away, etc, etc.

or for making pictures.

Anything pressurised is generally useless for getting reasonable photos, unless you put in some effort / money.

I think those who said that one should take a close look (with the wife, etc) and that will probably crystallise the decision, are right. That is what I did. This was in 2002. The Diamond dealer was arrogant and would not install the avionics I wanted, and that was that. The Cirrus dealer was ultra arrogant and treated me like an idiot, and that was that, too. Socata were approachable and could deliver what I wanted. So I ordered the TB20 without a test flight. Sounds crazy? Not really. If you’ve been in business for many years, you would be a fool to give serious money to somebody who is telling you to p1ss off

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

boscomantico wrote:

Thing is, „rich“ people (not meant in a derogative way, plus the OP seems to have disappeared anyway) have different minds. They usually want and almost always buy new stuff. New electronics, new paint, new interior, new everything. And support. And reliability. And no, they don‘t want „projects“ either. Life is short.

Rich people in my area more often have P-51 projects or the like, fly a 182 to get around/carry stuff and think of Cirruses and Diamonds as flight school planes.

They might have a plane that ‘just works’, but by necessity. It’s not by my observation the kind of fun many people choose when they’ve earned a substantial budget, and have the contacts & resources required to do anything. Maybe in Germany for a certain fraction of the market, not as a general rule.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 21 Mar 15:39

Silvaire wrote:

Rich people in my area more often have P-51 projects or the like, fly a 182 to get around/carry stuff and think of Cirruses and Diamonds as flight school planes.

But do you live in a rich area?

I would say the SR22/22T is de rigueur for “rich” pilots in many affluent areas. For one, the chute sells itself to many new owners, as well as Cirrus’ exceptionally strong owner community.

I live in an area with GA aircraft of all types and owners of all types, including 550 planes kept at my base ranging from $15K homebuilts to Gulfstreams.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 21 Mar 16:16

P210 Silver Eagle ? Hell of an aircraft if you’re planning to tour in Europe.

• It will go higher and faster than either the cirrus or the diamonds.
  • Turbine, jet A fuel, much much more reliable
  • Windows are large enough, high wing, sightseeing for everyone
  • Actually capable of making a trip through some weather ( boots+radar)

Yes it might be more challenging at first. But if you spend this kind of money on an airplane, get a good instructor to go along with you for the first 30-50ish hours.

Market price +- 600k. If you want, spend an extra 100k on the panel and get all the garmins that the new planes have.

The cirrus and diamond might be available to rent near you. Make some trips in both, see what you like.
Also consider that a factory new cirrus or diamond will probably depreciate like hell.

Belgium

Da42 engines have some weak points even if there are many redundancies: 2 ECU but 1 fadec per engine, only 1 hp pump… We can’t say the same on good old lyco or conti engines. On the da42 at least this is backup by the 2 engines. But still I would be up for a recent pa34. 6 levers are more complex at the beginning but as owner, you have plenty of time to be proficient, and latest iteration of Seneca are deiced for 300 to 400ke.
Of course this is avgas… The perfect plane is like the perfect job, it doesn’t exist.
For the price there is a nice pa31-500 Cheyenne on planecheck for half the price tag of the OP. Nice machine too, pressurised and performances are great, it is reparable (not the case of composite planes as the diamond and cirrus). Had I 1m$, I wouldn’t bother

Last Edited by greg_mp at 21 Mar 19:56
LFMD, France

greg_mp wrote:

For the price there is a nice pa31-500 Cheyenne on planecheck for half the price tag of the OP.

Poor OP too many suggestions – he ran away after asking the question and never returned. I guess he didn’t expect our community to be so eager on giving the advices.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Emir wrote:

Poor OP too many suggestions – he ran away after asking the question and never returned. I guess he didn’t expect our community to be so eager on giving the advices.

Thats hilarious. I just checked and you are right sedatedokc has not been back. He is sitting somewhere saying “what a bunch of weirdos, I ask an innocent question and instantly get hundreds of responses. Don’t these people have anything better to do?”

To be fair, he did push all the hot buttons – Cirrus vs anything, avgas vs jetA, single vs twin, and he is from across the pond, so we are all so eager to welcome him to Europe. Are we sure he/she is real?

I think I’m going to create a new account and username with my wife’s email address and play this game too.

Last Edited by Buckerfan at 22 Mar 08:53
Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message