Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Buying a Cessna A-185E Unseen

It must have been a culture shock to go PA46T → C185

Yes it will be a shock when I hopefully fly it but I will have some tailwheel refresher done beforehand and then need to find someone for the C185 conversion. But to be honest, it’s the change in flight rules and VFR complexity that I’m more worried about!

But Meridian to Skywagon should not be as big a shock as my rehabilitation from flying a Pitts Specials to a C340 on the way to the Meridian. I think RobertL18C played a part in that journey instructing me in Staplefords PA34 renewing my MEP after 20 years SEP flying. Think this is the same Robert as featured in my logbook?

Lydd

@PhilG probably guilty as charged :)

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

PhilG wrote:

We have asked the CAA to be reasonable given the advice that was received from them in December but nothing heard yet

Still no response?

Why dont you go back to the prior reg and same prior CAMO and ask them to issue a new ARC then get an export CofA. You may need an agreement with the CAMO or previous owner for them to reg on their name and then back to you. Other than UK and foreign CAA fees, the rest of the cost should be little more than a couple AMU’s plus ARC inspector travel costs. If annual check is expired you can always get a new one done by an EASA LMA in the UK , you’ll otherwise need it any way once you go on G-reg, so it means little if any incremental cost.

PM me if u need help.

Antonio
LESB, Spain

I know the seller, he is the king pin out there in Hungary. During that 90’s boom when Eastern Bloc aircraft became all the fashion in UK he ferried dozens of Russian radials over to the UK.

C185 is a good buy. The panel question is open ended. I’ll post my own panel insights soon on a different thread. The N reg is about a £6-7k move depending.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

The 185 is a great aircraft. Looking forward to see more of it and your upgrades.

ESSZ, Sweden

This gentlemen did a very neat panel upgrade on a vintage Bonanza

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Yes, as WilliamF says, the seller is a significant participant in the Hungarian GA scene. He operates the largest commercial and PPL flying school in Hungary. The C185 had flown very little in the past 5 years and was a concern but fortunately has good compressions so hopefully is ok. I will have a borescope exam to see if there is anything of concern.

When I asked why so little use Csaba responded by saying if you own 50 aircraft, fly lots for work, even the most interesting aircraft get ignored. I do understand that.

No question his previous ferrying experience helped him get the aircraft to the UK in early December in marginal weather.

That evening over a drink, legal at the time as they were served with a “substantial meal” he explained he had done the same trip 50 times, ferrying Yaks for Richard Goode.

Still nothing heard from the CAA on the airworthiness transfer.

Lydd

I am pleased to say that the CAA have been reasonable and have now agreed to transfer the airworthiness over based on Hungarian ARC alone.

I had a strong recollection that in 2020 there were statements made by the CAA that the Airworthiness transfer process would be unchanged for 2 years but couldn’t find any remaining official reference that this was the case. Then I thought of searching the national archives to see if there was a snapshot of the CAA Brexit micro site. And would you believe it, the site was captured on 31st December 2020. The screen grab below was truly a relief to see.

I had the agreement within a few days of sending the screen grab to the CAA.

So full speed ahead now on getting the aircraft fit to fly and back to the VFR vs IFR panel fit decision…

Lydd

Great news! Slightly concerning though that the CAA being reasonable depends on your ability to wave at them a copy of what they once had on their website!

Do you have a picture of the panel as-is?

EGLM & EGTN

PhilG wrote:

(odd as apparently it was accident free but I never believed that)

Any tail wheel aircraft decades old advertised with “no damage history” is a barefaced lie :-)

Andreas IOM
Sign in to add your message