Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

After years of contemplating...

If only I’d known :)

always learning
LO__, Austria

Schaerding (LOLS) is always worth a trip ;-)
Next time come to EDMY for a drink…

EDM_, Germany

Time flies, long time since I updated this thread. I had a few more memorable flights in the good old Cherokee. One was crossing the alps northbound for a “fly to fly” to obtain A-UPRT in a Decathlon.

Parking right in front of accommodation was nice.
And the flight over the alps was scenic as always (pictures show “Hochtor” range).

A few months later, my friend and plane-partner moved away and we agreed that he will buy my share, and so the Cherokee went with him.

It was subsequently upgraded and put to good use this fall, when we flew “our” plane together again for his B-IR.

After a while being planeless an opportunity for a hangar spot at my base came along. And I took it. All I was missing was a plane. Time for a new thread.

Last Edited by Snoopy at 30 Dec 19:21
always learning
LO__, Austria

Great video, nice to see Maribor airport and interesting to me that there seemed to be an American accent on the radio (if I heard correctly)

Snoopy wrote:

I tend to come in way too flat. Need more practice (and your hints are appreciated)

Videos can be deceptive and I don’t know the flap position for the landing in the video, but it did look that way…. dragging it in followed by a very smooth touchdown. Can’t you just use more flaps and less power for the approach?

Last Edited by Silvaire at 09 Jul 01:31

Snoopy wrote:

My target landings suck. I tend to come in way too flat. Need more practice (and your hints are appreciated).

From a taper wing perspective, but perhaps the same, I find if you want to do good shortfield/target landings, you really need to be at the correct speed taking into account weight. Our POH gives varying rotation speeds based on weight, but doesn’t provide any for landing, although it’s obviously straight forward to work these out. For us, it means that for typical aircraft configuration doing circuits as in your video (1 up, fuel around tabs somewhere, no significant luggage), the landing speed is about 5 knots less than the ‘book’ muaw speed. I find these extra 5 knots will ruin a good short field landing every time.

United Kingdom

Hey ,Slovenia seems to like your PA28!

It makes us all happy that you are happily enjoying it with the happy family! We are going to have to use you on our “aircraft marketing” threads…forget about the 1970’s Cadillac with the Cessna on a grass strip or the handsome male executive on the wing of a Comanche…I’ll get Snoopy’s flying family as the best advert anytime!

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Thanks for the report ! Looks like you enjoy the plane !
I assume you are quite tall.
I found small people have an advantage : their car/plane feel muuuch roomier

LFOU, France

Ibra wrote:

capable considering its/it‘s <1000kg MTOW.
Yes perfect for 2 adults & 3 bags (sorry it’s harsh on kids )

Enroute FL080… happily asleep on the way back from LJPZ ;) ;)

For kids it’s no issue. Adults however have zero legroom on the backseats.

Last Edited by Snoopy at 08 Jul 15:53
always learning
LO__, Austria

360° Video (requires Youtube App or Desktop/Compatible Browser).

Last Edited by Snoopy at 26 Jun 21:37
always learning
LO__, Austria

I’ve emailed Jepp.. Thanks all!

After what have now been months I was finally able/had sufficient spare time to take advantage of the 5+1 package at near by LJMB MBX Maribor Aerodrome.

The airport is well equipped (with ILS), however it doesn’t have any scheduled flights and is an ideal training airport with cheaper Avgas to boot (~2€ vs. 2,5€ @ LOWG).

No matter if doing one or 6 (5 TGL + 1 FSL), the price is always 27€.

After a quick „left turn out, east of the river to GOLVA“ departure from my base, and 10 minutes cruise flight later, I found myself in the pattern of LJMB, with 5 others (weekend).

I started with a flapless landing, then flaps 10, then 25 and the remaining ones at 40. It sure does drop at full flaps and needs some timely power applied. My target landings suck. I tend to come in way too flat. Need more practice (and your hints are appreciated).

Quick turnaround, refueling (100L of Avgas, 210€ incl. tip for the bowser guy) and back home.

Took it slow today and took my time, and it felt good! Some pictures:

always learning
LO__, Austria
91 Posts
Sign in to add your message