Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Is ownership worth it?

Silvaire, not sure that now it’s the right advice for a person in Europe!

The first time you source and install a used or NOS part (a part of any kind, purchased yourself from another individual) without any paperwork other than an A&P logbook entry, it’ll seem worthwhile.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 16 Mar 16:40

Silvaire wrote:

In my experience many new hangar tenants skip the line, or more to the point are never on it. Who you know, your reputation and who wants you around gets you hangar space.

That is one aspect, the other is, that there are more people on the list than actually need a hangar, as many sign up for waiting lists at maybe 3-4 airfields and then pick the first they can get their hands on. I was on the list since 2010 at LSZF and LSZK, I once got an offer for a place on a lift at the back of a full hangar which eventually proved not feasible. So all in all 14 years before I could secure a space, and I was not Nr 1 either, but only my plane (or an other short body Mooney) would have fit. The distance to the other 2 airplanes before me in the hangar (which need to be moved out in order to get in and out) is inches.

The fact is: Hangar space particularly in Switzerland is a precious commodity, unless maybe you are willing to go to far away grass strips which are unavailable for most of winter and sometimes in summer due to soft runways. Waiting time for a hangar is mostly over 10 years, sometimes they never materialize or they do for prices you can rent a flat for.

Another fact is that more and more cities in Europe loose their GA to day-VFR airfields due to outpricing or outright bans. That makes stuff like IFR less and less attractive.

LeSving wrote:

my experience about ownership tells me:

That has a lot to do with your personal needs. If you are ok with 2 seats and to stay within your local area, basically no travelling and just joyriding, ULMs work just fine provided you are the right size for them. The moment you wish to travel internationally and need 4 seats, you are totally reliant on either EASA and in some cases N-Reg planes, particularly if you wish to fly IFR. Experimentals are another thing yet again, but in the right hands such as @Dan they can become remarkable travel machines as well.

That EASA certified airplanes are a waste of space is something I can not confirm, this depends hugely how you manage it and with whom you are working. N-Reg works for those who have the licenses and the know how to keep the plane up for themselves.

Individual flying is a highly individual thing and hardly ever one shoe fits all.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
The moment you wish to travel internationally and need 4 seats, you are totally reliant on either EASA and in some cases N-Reg planes, particularly if you wish to fly IFR.

I would argue that a lot has changed in the last 20 years in this space. Vans RV10 is an experimantal 4 seater with SR22 like performance. Then there are Rotax powered 4 seaters with MC4S being the first of the kind.
Travelling within the Schengen zone in an experimantal is a non issue.

Poland

some EuroGA folks really do get up early… even on Sundays

an offer for a place on a lift at the back of a full hangar

Another good point. As mentioned, hangar space is rare around here. And there are hangars that, for one reason or another, have architectural constraints as for instance doors on a single side. LSZK Speck is one example where one can have a back row space, and ends up pulling up to 6 airplanes before being able to access one’s own.
I for sure would not want one of those spots, OTOH still better than outside.

Re these full covers for aircraft… well, some of them are really heavy and cumbersome to install/remove. Expensive to buy too, and will wear out in 10 years. And a good way to get scratches on any plexi parts and abrasive action in all corners and edges. They also do promote corrosion.

Makes me realize once more how lucky I am… my steed is hanging on hangers (could not resist ) in a heated hangar on what I consider a prime GA field in close proximity to a major city, reachable by TP, at a price which I think is very fair. What’s no to like?

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Travelling within the Schengen zone in an experimantal is a non issue

The need for permits, and the general ban in IFR in non certified, are not related to schengen.

I reckon if you investigated this freshly, you would find little has changed in 20 years.

Small details like being able to fly to France on the UK PMD but the PMD itself is new.

Long previous threads eg https://www.euroga.org/forums/non-certified/2276/post/35436

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Mooney_Driver wrote:

The distance to the other 2 airplanes before me in the hangar (which need to be moved out in order to get in and out) is inches.

Yep, this must be common enough around Europe where space is an issue. I was 15 min to airfield before and it used to take another 20-30 minutes to play Tetris before the plane would be out to taxi. The process would be repeated to secure the aircraft back inside at its place. I see my 1 hour drive now not so bad that I could have the plane out and in within 5 minutes.

EDMB, Germany
The need for permits, and the general ban in IFR in non certified, are not related to schengen.

Sure, Spain requires a permit and Bulgaria requires a permit, some other countries too, but it’s a non issue. One simple email and you are cleared for the flying season.
My observation is that the Rotax / ultralight community couldn’t care less…. And I do appreciate that my point of view sitting here on the edge of Europ might be different to yours

Poland

My humble guess is that CH must a world record holder (🤣) in aircraft being stacked above each other to max hangar space, e.g. hung up… this is seen on many a field around here, either using lifts, or more commonly winches to liberate precious real estate.

All the recent hangars on my field have been built high and strong enough to enable two storey hangarage, and the winches are installed on beams that will slide out, thereby alleviate any need to move one of the airplane below. I found this example on the net:

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Dan wrote:

My humble guess is that CH must a world record holder (🤣) in aircraft being stacked above each other to max hangar space

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

RV14 wrote:

Sure, Spain requires a permit and Bulgaria requires a permit, some other countries too, but it’s a non issue. One simple email and you are cleared for the flying season.

Yes, some countries require permits to fly even VFR, but others (like Germany) will not allow you to fly IFR in a national permit aircraft.

EGTR
Sign in to add your message