Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Used market: "Forgotten" airplane types vs the usual

The Ryan Navion reminds me of the Meyers 200D, another good looking plane. It will outrun a Bonanza etc, but is severely limited on useful load (legally at least).

I saw a Bellanca Super Viking with turbo on planecheck about a year ago, and was sorely tempted, but too scared Tube fuselage and wooden wing.

Piper Cub L-4 / J-3 types command a premium, so how about other contemporaneous liaison aircraft: Taylorcraft L-2 (and derived Auster), Aeronca L-3 (Champ/Chief family), Porterfield Collegiate etc. Some are faster, some are more STOL, some are better built. Otherwise Piper’s Vagabond is essentially a side-by-side Cub at half the price.

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

The Bellanca Turbo Viking always has a Lycoming, unlike most other Vikings (a good thing to me) but they’re also heavy enough to be a two seater with full tanks. I think they’re cool regardless, at least if you can find a nice one. Most need something, or a lot of things and even doing the work yourself under supervision by the time you’ve done them all you’ve bought a forever plane (not sellable for what you have in it, or close).

I might like a slightly lighter non-turbo 17-31A (31 versus 30 means Lycoming engine), maybe in retirement if I could find a really nice one. Better for me than a Bonanza because of the ergonomics.

There’s a very early ‘47 Bonanza ‘ramp rat’ near me, (serial number 300 or so) singing its siren song because it was once well maintained before the owner evaporated. But these have the early model structural issues, short guy ergonomics and (typically) lots and lots of maintenance issues. I’m not sure it would be a good deal financially if it were given to me.

The wood wing Mooney M20 that was also on the ramp not far away lost its rotted wood wings and I think it may fly again. I’d take one of those too, if it was very well documented and cheap. I know where there is one in Arizona, with good wings and hangared by an old and well established guy who will likely never again fly it. Maybe someday, who knows. The earliest models of anything are always interesting from an enthusiast/owner perspective but generally not very practical.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 08 Jan 21:23

@AdamFrisch hence the MT route being a potential life saver for the type.

Actually barnstormers has an OH original Beechcraft propeller and hub for around $12k

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

RobertL18C wrote:

All the E-series had USG34 useable mains.

Shame on me. Actually I got the 34 right but I somewhere went terribly wrong… of course it is 284 USG.

AAARGH. I found it out. The text sais 2 62 USG tanks which I read as 262, not 2 tanks of 62…

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Capitaine wrote:

The Ryan Navion reminds me of the Meyers 200D, another good looking plane.

You are very right, they do look quite the same.

The Viking is one heck of a nice airplane. I recall the former owner of Pilot und Flugzeug, Heiko Teegen, used to fly one for a while. Can´t remember which type though.

Silvaire wrote:

The wood wing Mooney M20 that was also on the ramp not far away lost its rotted wood wings and I think it may fly again. I’d take one of those too, if it was very well documented and cheap. I know where there is one in Arizona, with good wings and hangared by an old and well established guy who will likely never again fly it. Maybe someday, who knows. The earliest models of anything are always interesting from an enthusiast/owner perspective but generally not very practical.

I don´t know if the wood wing Mooneys are the same but not a few metal Mooneys got a donor wing sometime in their lifes, when the original got damaged or corroded past usefulness. They are very easy to take off and refit with a new wing. I once saw an E model announced which had a J model wing and cowling mounted. That must have been an interesting exemplar… If there is anything I´d like in mine it is those 64 USG instead of 52.

gallois wrote:

Scintex Rubis

I checked Xavier Massé’s Avions Piel but other than 4 photos all it says is, “while Claude Piel helped Scintex with the development of the ML-250, it is not one of his aircraft”. Of the 8 built, only 2 are still flying, one privately and one with the Aéro Club des Pilotes du Centre at Nevers LFQG (website seems dead). The plans have probably disappeared, and the closest is the Super Diamant. A cutaway of the smaller-engined prototype:

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

https://www.planecheck.com/?ent=da&id=53176
planecheck_SE_KLD_53176_pdf

A beech sierra, cheaper than a 172.
Looks like a good IFR (N/A) family plane.

LFOU, France

Recently two Sierras were featured in Jimmy’s World. And I have to confess I did not know much a out it but took a closer look afterwards. Performance wise it is close to the Arrow or the Grumman Tiger with 140 kts. But generally it appears to be a very pleasant and usable airplane.

A friend of mine operates a Sundowner which basically is the fixed gear version of the Sierra. He is very happy with it.

Sierras are slow, but incredibly roomy. I have no idea why they made the roof so high, I’m at the top end of height from waist up and there’s a big gap above my head when I sit it one.

Real world cruise speed is 125 kts or so, on 200 HP (9-10 GPH fuel burn). Stall speed is relatively high at 60 kts clean, but load carrying capacity is good. Good article here

I don’t think too many Mouseketeers were sold to the public. They were designed for the Beechcraft dealers who in the heyday of GA, had flying clubs as an entry point on the way to Barons and Bonanzas.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message