Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Varnishing (re-painting) our Bonanza

The Bonnie is getting a new look for 2023

Did you had some illustrations how the aircraft would look after getting painted?

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

@eddsPeter just a bump on what process your shop is using for stripping and priming the magnesium elevators, your F33A might have the STC aluminium elevators?

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

what process your shop is using for stripping and priming the magnesium elevators, your F33A might have the STC aluminium elevators?

@RobertL18C We don’t have magnesium elevators. So I’m sorry I can’t help you with your question.

EDDS , Germany

Impressive. May I ask what nowadays such a paintjob would cost you?

LOWI,LIPB, Italy

eddsPeter wrote:

@RobertL18C We don’t have magnesium elevators. So I’m sorry I can’t help you with your question.

If you don’t mind me asking what do you have? If they are magnesium I would ensure………

Guidance for addressing and treating corrosion in magnesium is contained in FAA Advisory Circular AC43-4a chapters 4 (pg. 51) and 6 (pg. 111).

I have a 5 page condensed version if you need it.

After stripping and removing the corrosion, it’s best to use Dow 19 to treat the skin. The “recipe” for Dow 19 is in the Magnesium Prep and Painting.pdf, but it’s probably better to buy it. It is a solution of nitric acid and sodium dichromate. There was also once a solution called Magnadyne but not sure if that is available.

All sources say the bake out of all moisture after chemical etch and conversion coat is as critical as using the correct chemical solution. Also, painting right after baking is important.

1. Strip with commercial stripper
2. Remove any surface corrosion, being careful not to further abrade or scratch the surface.
3. Apply Dow 19 according to instructions.
4. Bake in oven long enough at 130 deg F to remove moisture.
5. Only epoxy type primers are suitable for magnesium.
6. Top coat with paint.
7. Balance

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

I’m surprised about the 3D text for the registration. When our club bought a US Archer and registered it on the German register, they wanted to see the letters and LBA refused to accept the 3D text. Probably if it’s done after acceptance, no issue. However at that time, we had to have the registration done in 2D lettering, not 3D. If it’s not something the BR routinely check at airfields, then all good.

EDL*, Germany

It‘s nothing that the local aviation authorities have any interest in, nor any say over. It‘s an entirely an LBA fetish. And there, as you know, it depends a bit on the employee taking care of the registration process. However, in this case, there is no new registration. Again, I guess that if changing the lettering style by repaint, in theory one is probably obliged to send new photos the the LBA, but I guess hardly anybody does that. The only case where this could lead to trouble is possibly at an ACAM inspection. Or if somebody mean reports you to the LBA. But I have seen many D-regs with some sort of 3D lettering, so it is definitely not a total no-go. Plus, a German aircraft paint shop would know exactly what is ok and what isn‘t.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 08 Jan 10:23
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

May I ask the total costs expected and the actual downtime.

EDRT, ELLX, Luxembourg

I flew the Bonanza to the shop at the 8th of December. It is expected to get her back on the 20th of January. Keep in mind, that this includes Christmas and New Year, which means in Germany, that there are a few days where everything is closed. So they are doing it really fast.

EDDS , Germany

@BeechBaby thank you for the description

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message