Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

RV aircraft - do they always flip upside down on ditching?

Peter wrote:

The tendency to flip is obvious; the Q is whether it always happens.

Who knows exactly why you in a given circumstance will flip or not (it could be the waves, the head wind, the exact descent rate at the moment you hit the water, and a number of other things). It’s irrelevant in any case as the worst case scenario is obviously flipping over. It’s also the most likely event according to statistics, but far from 100%. Flipping over is what you should prepare for, all other discussions are of purely academic nature and importance.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Off topic posts moved to the general ditching thread

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

LeSving wrote:

All in all, it’s piece of cake.

I’ve done that sort of training, too, in the Voluntary Air Corps. Certainly doable, but I wouldn’t say it’s a piece of cake.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Can anyone post some detail, rather than say “it’s easy” or “it’s not easy”?

It might help somebody one day!

This isn’t facebook.

Specifically how would one egress via plexiglass if upside down and underwater. Not so sure the commercial heli courses (which a lot of people “up north” have done) are quite like this…

Administrator

It depends what sort of canopy the aircraft has. A flip over canopy as on the DA40 would be pretty difficult, upside down, I would have thought.

France

Peter wrote:

It might help somebody one day!

The one most important thing I learned (and that I had never thought of) is that before releasing your harness hold onto a known location with one hand. During the egress hold onto successive known locations and never let go with both hands. You will become disoriented and holding onto a known location may be the only way you can direct yourself toward the exit.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 20 Aug 15:52
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Peter wrote:

Well…
My recent post details went on “off topic” side, all with real mission preparation example.

Guess we can not expect to hear here the real diching experience survivor.
Any way, few key points are:
1. Fly the plane, enter in water gently as much as possible. The pilot must stay ready and calm,
in case of heavy impact the chances of self rescue are poor.
2. In case the plane is still floating (low wings) exit the plane with all safety gear
3. In case the plane cockpit is already under water pressure, wait to fill up to the top, hold your breath or use spare air
4. take care that your life west must be on manual activation, in case of automatic activation you are in trouble.
4. keep in mind that aircraft is still floating, be aware about position of you and the plane.
5. open or slam the plexi or doors and leave the plane, activate life west.

The old fashion scuba diving training with taking off the gear on the approx. 7m deep bottom, than free exit
and than dive down to set up all back – can bring some proficiency. In dusk or night especially, but do not do that alone.

Not sure that BRS is helping a lot over the water because you have the one more obstacle to the surface and your plane
is not necessary up side after BRS “landing”.

Croatia

I’ll come back to the topic of the thread @Peter… just gimme some time

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

In case the plane cockpit is already under water pressure, wait to fill up to the top, hold your breath or use spare air

The problem with waiting for that is that by the time it fills up, all buyoancy will be gone and it will be sinking at a great speed and nobody will be getting out. I would bet the crush depth of a “submarine” made of 3mm plexiglass is less than 10m, which will be reached in a few seconds. So you have to get out immediately.

hold onto a known location with one hand. During the egress hold onto successive known locations and never let go with both hands

I believe that is from a standard helicopter ditching course. These can end up upside down but won’t sink further because the floats will stop that. You “just” need to somehow get out of there and get to the surface. An RV is nothing like a helicopter.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

all buyoancy will be gone

You have some buyoancy in wings and fuel tanks.
The clear indication is in case that all is gone is remain air gap only on the rear side of cockpit,
the heavy engine goes down first…

Croatia
Sign in to add your message