Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Which aircraft to buy? TB20 looks good, but...

Switzerland has loads of ~500m hard runways and has loads of TB20s based there. I’ve been to Wangen-Lachen too.

The problem with “grass” is, yes, more drag, so you need more distance, and usually one adds 50% i.e. 500m tarmac is more like 750m grass (unless very smooth and short).

But the biggest problem with “grass” in real-life ops is that grass fields which you are not personally familiar with are simply dangerous from the POV of potholes, rocks, sometimes crazy-tall grass, mud, etc, and if your plane is damaged you will get this

and you have a real problem! So, renters tend to be ok with it

Do we know the budget here?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Looks to me as if the OP is long gone again.

I am right here, haha.

Lots of good comments, just don’t have anything new to add.

One thing I can say is that as a new owner I would have no clue where to source parts outside of going to my maintenance shop if I had an issue with the exhaust say.

United Kingdom

That just means that whatever your budget, you need to keep plenty of spare cash for maintenance surprises.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

That just means that whatever your budget, you need to keep plenty of spare cash for maintenance surprises.

Yeah good point. It also means I need to be extra careful with the prebuy.

Are there any specific shops that are particularly familiar/good (or bad and I should avoid) with maintenance on these birds? I am considering Shipping and Airlines at Biggin.

United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Do we know the budget here?

I would like to spend £150k or less on the initial purchase. If less than that then that’s even better ofc. Also not sure if I’d spend that much on a model with a 1700 hour engine given I’ll basically be putting aside another 40k for the engine fund.

United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

The problem with “grass” is, yes, more drag, so you need more distance, and usually one adds 50% i.e. 500m tarmac is more like 750m grass (unless very smooth and short).

The POHs I’ve seen say 10-20% if the grass is short. (If it is not, then of course the increase can be arbitrarily large.)

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 27 Oct 10:52
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I would also suggest taking a look at the 177. From what I’ve read:

• better suited to short hops / grass trips / messing around
  • high wing, no struts: great for sightseeing, especially in the rear seats
  • easier to maintain than a 6-cylinder (probably; there’s the whole thing about single-shaft dual magnetos…); easier than any turbo for sure
  • looks a lot more modern than a 182 – even though not as modern or good-looking as a TB20
  • should be a lot cheaper than equivalent TB20 (especially if it already has the right avionics; with upgrading mileage may vary)
  • as spacious (if not more) than a TB20; easier to get into; but the in-flight comfort might be slightly worse because of the very large doors, and how (reportedly) difficult they are to windproof
    The main downside compared to the TB20 is speed and range. If more speed is needed, the RG version could get you near 150ktas (although don’t take my word for it) which is not that far off a TB20, and can still do short grass fields just fine.

It’s much less aircraft of course, but considering the initially stated “mission profile” I think it fits better. If you’re unlikely to push further than 1-2 hour flights, the non-RG seems to fit really well. If you think you may do longer flights and more cross-country in the future, the RG also works well.

France

maxbc wrote:

(probably; there’s the whole thing about single-shaft dual magnetos…)

Yeah, that is a bit worrying. But it’s not a deal breaker for me. It seems there have been very few engine failures due to the mags (very few engine failures altogether, even fewer due to the mags). So I am thinking if I get a TB20 I can eventually replace it with electronic ignition when a suitable product has been certified, with actual proper redundancy.

maxbc wrote:

lso suggest taking a look at the 177

Did you mean this one? https://www.ukaviationsales.com/aircraft-for-sale/reims-cessna-f177rg/

Lycoming O-360 I heard is as bullet proof as it gets. Could be worth considering. I wonder why it’s been on the market for over a year (maybe very firm price). Definitely not as nice looking as the TB20s, and the avionics on at least two of the TB20s are very nice (compared to the Aspen on this one).

United Kingdom

I would also suggest taking a look at the 177

Yes, the Cardinal is also a good suggestion IMO, and particularly for the OPs use a fixed gear variant. Improvements were introduced though the years of production, e.g. constant speed prop on the fixed gear plane, if that’s what you want, so newer in this case is generally better. The very first year had 150 HP and is underpowered.

The FG version otherwise has the parallel valve 180 HP engine while the RG has the heavier 200 HP angle valve engine. Both are four cylinder engines and both are fine but the parallel valve O-360 is the most practical engine that one might suggest for this service, and is also BTW used on the Grumman Tiger.

This AD applies, which is a complicating factor for the 177.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 27 Oct 14:37

The POHs I’ve seen say 10-20% if the grass is short.

Have you ever compared it in real life? For me real life numbers are (measured at same TOM and similar wind):
- tarmac ground roll 390m
- grass ground roll 630m

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
Sign in to add your message