Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

MCR4S

There are no STCs for mogas for Regents.

There is an STC for Remorquers, but not for Regents.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Even then, you’re still comparing apples with broomsticks. You would need to consider the hours flown and missions undertook – IFR operations will have an inherently higher risk of mishap than perfect weather VFR bimbling…..

Comparing absolute number of Cirrus and MCR accidents without factoring total number built is comparing apples to broomsticks.

always learning
LO__, Austria

boscomantico wrote:

There are no STCs for mogas for Regents.

You got me

What I would suggest then is the DH 251, Gallois would be happy with F-P registration

Poland

Comparing absolute number of Cirrus and MCR accidents without factoring total number built is comparing apples to broomsticks.

Just like the majority of statistical comparisons.
I remember a major fuss IIRC in either Sweden or Norway. It showed that some 90% childhood leukaemia death cases were clustered in regions near high voltage electricity power lines. The statistics caused protests and demands for removal of power lines. I was asked to make a programme about this phenomenon. I found that such concerns happening in many other countries.
In my research one of the first things I discovered was that deaths from childhood leukaemia, whilst being highly emotional, were also extremely rare. In the case of Sweden/Norway there had been 6 deaths in a 25 year period in the whole of the country. IIRC only 2 or 3 of the children actually lived, played, or went to school within an area which electric fields (the alleged cause of the problem) could actually be measured. Yet at the time Norway/Sweden electricity grid companies were coming under great pressure to underground all high voltage cables. Something for which there were a lot of pressure groups, anyway.
This is just one example of why I do not trust statistics and why my comparison was a little tongue in cheek.🙂

France

The problem with MCR4S is that chute is equipped by the builder “as an option” and many are missing it. I think this 13 death cases could have been less.
Apart from that, MCR4S is easier and less “dangerous” to fly than the 01, it’s less “built for speed” and its reaction in the last turn is much more benign.

LFMD, France

The above numbers discussions prompted me to run some numbers for benchmarking…

Of course the number of accidents over number of aircraft produced is not meaningful if you don’t factor how many years the type has been in service. That is the bottom line where an approximation has been done by dividing over the numbers of years since mid-term of production.

Some interesting numbers that deserve explanation are the fact that while Diamonds are amongst the best accident survival rates, the DA42 is rather bad in overall accident rates. While Mooneys are rather bad in accidents/aircraft, when you factor number of years in use, it goes back to the middle of the pack.

The numbers for MCR4S still look bad but my production dates may be wrong.
Feel free to also point out errors in production numbers, I could not find reliable online sources for all types.

@mod, if this deserves new thread feel free to move or send me a pm and I will create it, and BTW, unless my production numbers are very bad, or TB20’s are under-reported in ASN, the TB20 is by far the safety leader!

Last Edited by Antonio at 25 Apr 13:53
Antonio
LESB, Spain

Interesting @greg_mp have you any experience of the Pick Up?
The other thing I wondered about was why the majority of fatalities on the MCR4S were in Africa.
Also interesting was that the majority of fatalities were not in privately owned MCR4S but by companies or trusts.

France

@Antonio where do you find 21 accidents for the MCR4S.?.In ASN and other sources I can only find 13 up 2023..The last one being F-PIMS in Switzerland 2 fatalities and owned by Ecofly ASS.

Ahh ignore that I’ve found the others going back to 2005.

Last Edited by gallois at 25 Apr 14:07
France

gallois wrote:

Interesting @greg_mp have you any experience of the Pick Up?
The other thing I wondered about was why the majority of fatalities on the MCR4S were in Africa.
Also interesting was that the majority of fatalities were not in privately owned MCR4S but by companies or trusts.

I didn’t fly the pickup. At the time, I have been looking for MCR4S during 6 months, where I could only fly one just once, it’s a bit short for having a good overall picture for each plane, especially that, as it’s a kit plane, overall quality depends on the builder. But flying qualities are very good for what I can tell, a small 4-seater 120kn aircraft, and safe.
I would say the pickup is just a light MCR4S, they are essentially the same plane.

@Antonio
Very nice table, thanks a lot!

Last Edited by greg_mp at 25 Apr 14:38
LFMD, France

Acc. to the table MCR4S has 5.5 times more fatal accidents than Cirrus.

always learning
LO__, Austria
Sign in to add your message