Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What's the latest on the Extra 500?

As usual, a google on the reg turns up interesting data

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Not sure what happened to this one, I think it changed registration several times. It has a radar pod which is strange because the radar does not seem to be available (certified) with the final Avidyne avionics suite.

LSGG, LFEY, Switzerland

Just came across this pic from a 2010 trip report of mine, at LDLO

Looks like D-EKEW.

Administrator

Can one move Extra into “experimental” for IFR? I know someone who did it for Mooney in US with lot of his own mods (he was an FAA engineer/inspector)

Yes, but very likely with operational limitations in Experimental R&D that would make it pointless for the owner. FAA Experimental category is not intended to be a way to skirt certification for factory built aircraft.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 11 May 14:03

Holy Moly, it looks like the clever dealer who is offering this Extra 500 may have overlooked a little detail.
Good luck with this sale and a possible lawsuit to follow.
Btw, they posted a nice video on youtube.
@ibra: some buddies and me are looking at moving 3-4 E400s to N-reg experimental with a Walter turbine.

Such an aircraft would be a dream in the US: M500 speed with a roomier and jet-style cabin and cockpit.
The downside is the usual high fuel burn / low useful load and unresolved nose-heaviness issue.

LSGG, LFEY, Switzerland

It does appear that way, there must be a story I suppose. The FAA Type Certificate number is A43CE and TCDS at the link contains the statement “approved for day-night VFR” as the last line of the Certification Basis section for the EA-500 specifically, and not the EA-400.

It’s funny from other thread, that you can’t fly IFR in certified aircraft with “VFR only” in TCDS (Extra) while in the other hand one can fly IFR in uncertified aircraft with no TCDS (Lancair)

Can one move Extra into “experimental” for IFR? I know someone who did it for Mooney in US with lot of his own mods (he was an FAA engineer/inspector)

Last Edited by Ibra at 11 May 07:18
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

That’s hilarious. I wonder how many bought one of these, never realising that it was VFR-only on N-reg.

Not the sort of thing most buyers would check!

Administrator

It does appear that way, there must be a story I suppose. The FAA Type Certificate number is A43CE and TCDS at the link contains the statement “approved for day-night VFR” as the last line of the Certification Basis section for the EA-500 specifically, and not the EA-400.

I think you’re right, @Flyingfish.

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 10 May 22:26

Wow, what a disgrace this advert.
And the N-number in blue is sooo ugly.
I think this particular aircraft started life in Lausanne Switzerland as HB-DJR and changed hands a few times while clocking very few hours over the years.
The logic of transferring it from LX to N-reg is beyond me. Can anyone confirm my belief that the 500 never obtained IFR certification by the FAA? My googling failed…

Last Edited by Flyingfish at 10 May 22:28
LSGG, LFEY, Switzerland
100 Posts
Sign in to add your message