Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Pipistrel Panthera (combined thread)

The Cirrus SR22 will also make that speed, but needs more power and almost 17 GPH

The non-turbo does 177 knots at just over 14 GPH (at the right altitudes).

Yes. FL150. Hardly a 1:1 comparison to performance at 7,500 ft; the Panthera will be either faster or use less fuel.

But all of this does not matter, 20% fuel here and 10kt there – the Columbia vs. Cirrus has shown that a faster, more efficient airframe does not matter a bit, people prefer the slightly roomier cabin and the parachute of the Cirrus.

Either the Panthera is going to be HUGELY cheaper overall, which would have to include a much lower purchase price than the current >$500k for SR22s, or it will be yet another niche aircraft.

Biggin Hill

Yes. FL150.

Mine does it at FL110.
At FL150, for 177 knots it needs about 13.5 GPH (but I usually prefer 170 at 12 GPH).

Either the Panthera is going to be HUGELY cheaper overall, which would have to include a much lower purchase price than the current >$500k for SR22s, or it will be yet another niche aircraft.

The price for the IO-390 powered version they gave was 450.000€, net of VAT.
Add something for the bigger engine, a few extras, and some price increase until 2017, as well as VAT, and the price will be almost 700.000€. Go figure.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

If I were to go figure, I believe given the choice I’d buy the very nice Twin Comanche that was parked and for sale near the Panthera at AERO… For asking €70K as I remember, or 1/10 as much, with mid-time IO-320s and props.

Can you recall the twin com reg/ details?

EGNV and Fishburn Airfield

Justin,

That is the one.

It’s been on the market for years. N-Reg (showstopper for me as I don’t have an FAA license) and will need huge investments in avionic if it is to be IFR operated in Europe. But a nice plane.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

people prefer the slightly roomier cabin and the parachute of the Cirrus.

Well, the Panthera has the shute too. We’ll see what it does for them. Certainly the lack of it is the main problem the Corvalis has.

The price for the IO-390 powered version they gave was 450.000€, net of VAT.
Add something for the bigger engine, a few extras, and some price increase until 2017, as well as VAT, and the price will be almost 700.000€. Go figure.

450k plus VAT would end up in the region of 535k. The IO390 was listed at $ 32000 new someplace, could not find a price for a new IO540V. So maybe 20-k more realistically?

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Please acknowledge that getting and maintaining an FAA license on top of an EASA one is a piece of cake (compared with all the other hassles of aircraft ownership).

But true, that one really has stone age avionics and is thus way too expensive. A few years ago, the PuF Twinco cost only marginally more, but was a Turbo with looong range tanks, many mods and improvements, newish paint and good IFR avionics…

Last Edited by boscomantico at 14 Apr 06:23
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I know some of you expressed an interest, so you might want to know that this months UK Pilot magazine has (apparently) the first flight test of the Pipistrel Panthera.

Looks pretty good

Looks pretty good

Have you ever read a flight test in “Pilot” (I have been subscribing to that magazine for more than 20 years, but not any more) or any other aviation magazine where the test subject was not described as good?

Last Edited by what_next at 23 Apr 09:02
EDDS - Stuttgart

I was referring to the pictures, mainly

Yes, every time the mag lands on my mat, it’s a partial reminder to cancel the subscription. There’s a huge amount of “old timers” stuff which I have little interest in, ditto most of the adverts and flight training sections. Then there’s Pat Malone’s column, which is invariably an effective antidote to happiness. I live in hope for an improvement, but I suspect I shall pull the trigger soon.

Last Edited by masterofnone at 23 Apr 10:41
Sign in to add your message