Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Pipistrel Panthera (combined thread)

Shorrick,

it’s easier to fix that and tanker fuel by land rather than designing a flying tanker…

Funny you should say that, I think you are flying the very airplane which would come close to that definition…
Actually, do you have the Standard or Long Range Version?

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Just a small point, to confuse things even more…

If it flies at max speed of 193 kts using 65% power which from your table would mean about 14.8 gph

65% power at peak EGT is about 12 GPH.

14GPH is about “best power” (130F ROP) but the only time you would use that would be to get, ahem, best power when MP-limited to 65%, which at a guess would be at about 8000ft. It’s a stupid way to operate a plane but some like to fly fast

I think this is why non-turbo planes do their best MPG around 8000ft. The engine is quite efficient at 65%. But you need to be at peak EGT to do it. If they quote a TAS at 130F ROP without saying so, it is all nonsense.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Long range Urs.

Airport management doesn’t seem to be motivated by traffic volume – bizzarely.

Why should they want traffic that annoys their prime customers while bringing very little revenue? Not so bizarre, to me, in a world that goes around on money. But hadn’t we had this argument before?

Last Edited by at 31 Jan 15:46
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

My point was that in Greece (and elsewhere) these airfields have very little (if any) prime customers to annoy at all… most small to mid size airports focusing on regionals (hello Bern airport, I’m talking about you) don’t understand that these companies barely make a living and they don’t operate for long below a certain seat load factor… unlike the lot of us – and unlike regionals, most of us cannot tanker fuel around for the round-trip, so we’d be the perfect captive customer.

Last Edited by Shorrick_Mk2 at 02 Feb 11:07

I have a feeling that there are airports whose staff simply don’t want any traffic at all, but if so then please let us have 2 airliners a week and beware of these small noisemakers to interrupt our office sleep. Some places in Greece and elsewhere would qualify.

And there are others who simply hate GA and want to keep it out with any means possible. And to do so invent useful deterrents such as parking limitations, Slot limitations, no fuel, e.t.c.

My take is that I try to go where I am welcome or, if I need one of those places where I am not, will fight them for the right to use their airport nevertheless and with normal conditions. Not much chance of success but one can try.

BTW, just noticed the new Pilot und Flugzeug issue has an article on the parking ban in Salzburg…..

don’t understand that these companies barely make a living and they don’t operate for long below a certain seat load factor

I think the issue is one or more of

• the airports are run by idiots (Univ of Upper Warlingham MBA types)
  • the airports are run by people who want an easy life (as little aviation happening as possible)
  • they do not understand the concept of marginal costing i.e. with nearly all costs being fixed costs, all the time the airport is below capacity, all income comes straight through to profit

If I was running an airport I would have a pricing structure from €500 for a CJ4 (including the toilet pumped out) all the way down to a hang glider at €2, and with all fees below €10 paid by Paypal/CC online and payable before the flight

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

the airports are run by people who want an easy life (as little aviation happening as possible)

That would be what I’d expect in the southern European scene, such as Greece, Italy e.t.c. In other words, lazy civil servants.

the airports are run by idiots (Univ of Upper Warlingham MBA types)

And other similar folks who believe that GA bans are the solution to all their trouble.
Folks who have learnt that plan economy works, never mind that the Russians went bancrupt over it.

Interesting Spin Video.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 16 Feb 10:53

A bit worrying that the solid state attitude reference system completely loses it. Even when the aircraft is in a stable spin, the horizon on the EFIS is all over the place.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message