Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Pipistrel Panthera (combined thread)

aidanf123 wrote:

- in the video they stated that 90 gallon tanks are an option -

Ok, I missed that. Yes, that is the logical consequence. A 100 lb increase in MTOW is only going to cover about 16 USG however… so it has to be seen how much a Panthera with 90 USG can actually carry. My bet is not a lot, quite like the equivalent Mooneys which are notoriously short on payload, particularly with LR tanks.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

UK AOPA report

Pretty good:

Power was brought up to max continuous, fuel flow hit 13 gph, and the G3X calculated a true airspeed of 193 knots. Chan said that at the airplane’s posted normal or recommended cruise power setting, true airspeed runs around 183 knots, with an 11.5-gph fuel burn at 8,500 feet. Chan said under ideal conditions you could cruise as high as 194 to 198 knots, but that fuel burn would reach the 14 to 16 gph range. Even so, Pipistrel itself touts a maximum speed of 203 KTASPower was brought up to max continuous, fuel flow hit 13 gph, and the G3X calculated a true airspeed of 193 knots. Chan said that at the airplane’s posted normal or recommended cruise power setting, true airspeed runs around 183 knots, with an 11.5-gph fuel burn at 8,500 feet. Chan said under ideal conditions you could cruise as high as 194 to 198 knots, but that fuel burn would reach the 14 to 16 gph range. Even so, Pipistrel itself touts a maximum speed of 203 KTAS.

183kt TAS at 11.5GPH is very good, and probably 30kt faster than anything else with 4 seats and some space, at that fuel flow. The TB20, SR22, TTX and DA42 all do 140kt IAS low level (perhaps 150kt TAS at altitude) at that fuel flow.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

For comparison – at 150hp or 11.5 GPH LOP the Columbia 400 achieves 159kt TAS at 8000ft; vs. the quoted 183kt for the Panthera at 8500.

However, a few things in the article do not stack up.

Power was brought up to max continuous, fuel flow hit 13 gph

The engine is a 260HP IO-540 (V-series), AFAIK max continuous power is 100%, so they probably mean 75%, which is almost plausible, except fuel flow should be around 16 USG (ROP) or 14 USG (at peak).

Chan said that at the airplane’s posted normal or recommended cruise power setting, true airspeed runs around 183 knots, with an 11.5-gph fuel burn at 8,500 feet.

He does not say what that power setting is, but 11.5 gph is around 150 HP at or lean of peak, or around 55 to 60%. Pretty low for a recommended cruise setting.

At that power setting, the engine consumes 15 GPH fuel consumption at 75%
Columbia 400, 8000ft, ISA, 12 GPH, ROP —> 155 kt TAS; LOP
SR22 ,

Biggin Hill

The following wouldn’t work for me regardless of speed, and I wonder how many buyers would accept it when the time comes to stop comparing spec sheets and hand over the money.

“I’m 5 feet 10 and during taxi, takeoff, and in the landing flare I could just make out the tarmac ahead. A shorter person would have a view more like that of a taildragger. A thick centerpost can also interfere with forward vision”

Last Edited by Silvaire at 05 Nov 02:18

Forward vision is always an issue with this aircraft. I’m 6’8.

EBST, Belgium

Is this a real offer ?

There is a Panthera on planecheck.
Brand new, pic taken near Pipistrel.
But an Australian registration and a Philippines phone number. For a plane presumably in Slovenia…
Thoughts ?

panthera on planecheck local copy

Last Edited by ch.ess at 06 Dec 10:44
EDM_, Germany

ch.ess wrote:

s this a real offer ?

There is a Panthera on planecheck.
Brand new, pic taken near Pipistrel.
But an Australian registration and a Philippines phone number. For plane presumably in Slovenia…
Thoughts ?

panthera on planecheck local copy

It might be that the owner ordered/bought and registered for flying in Philippines and then just decided to sell it before ferry flight. It’s easy to check, Slovenia is small country and everybody in aviation knows each other. I guess the easiest way is to start with call to factory and check there.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Link now has no reg and Slovenian contact and phone number.
It might still be a scam. I responded to an ad which seemed genuine, until I wanted to inspect the plane at its base in England. It had been moved to Germany. Police Scotland were not interested.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

The planecheck advert still shows this – VH-BEL

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yesterday the add had “No Reg” at the top. Last changed yesterday. Now gone. No mention of reg that I could find in the add.
Looks genuine, maybe the seller is monitoring this thread?

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message