Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Pipistrel Panthera (combined thread)

They are claiming directional control when chute is deployed, as nose is down :D.

LFMD, France

You mean with the rudder?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

They don’t really explain

LFMD, France

The only way to have significant directional control under a chute is with the engine running, and in most circumstances you won’t be pulling the chute if the engine is running. Oh dammit I’ve just started another chute thread so everybody will pile in and then I will have to move all the posts

But it might work. I don’t know about this chute but under the SR22 chute you are doing about 20kt VS (-2000fpm) and if the nose is well down, say 45 deg, then 71% of that will be flowing past the ailerons and the rudder.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

and if the nose is well down, say 45 deg

Wonder what that does to the survivability of a crash under the chute. Can’t be too great hitting the ground at 45 deg nose down at 2000ft/min.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy wrote:

Seems to work fine https://www.cirruspilots.org/Safety/CAPS-Event-History

Nope. In the Cirrus, the airplane arrives in a more or less flat attitude with the crumple zones in the seats designed to cushion the impact. No idea how this is supposed to work at a 45deg down angle.

I thought the mention of directional control being possible when “the chute is deployed, as in nose down” was tongue in cheek, a tangential reference to the photos in the post immediately before. These show that you can’t really see out of the front of the thing, or where you’re going, when the plane is in flying or normal landing attitude.

My plane has a rather blunt windshield profile that I think slows it down considerably. Not the smartest design feature either, but it is nice to see where you’re going.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 03 May 19:11

Nope. In the Cirrus, the airplane arrives in a more or less flat attitude with the crumple zones in the seats designed to cushion the impact. No idea how this is supposed to work at a 45deg down angle.

I was linking to and meant the Cirrus CAPS ☺️

always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy wrote:

I was linking to and meant the Cirrus CAPS ☺️

Yep, of course. I am referring to the – apparently – different attitude at touchdown (ahem, crash): Cirrus +/- flat, Pipistrel 45deg nose down.

Sign in to add your message