Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

TECNAM P2008

In my experience Peter has just described most of the working world outside of R&D and small business.

That aside, the way the aircraft engine biz works is that a few people buy new engines and the rest overhaul existing inventory several times. The new ones are enough to fill in the gaps left when something can’t be overhauled. A healthy percentage (most?) of the engine parts used for overhaul come from PMA suppliers, not the original engine manufacturer, and that contains costs. Who would have thought 20 years ago that complete new cylinders could be bought for $950?!

And who would of thought in this day and age we would use an engine that the cylinders would need replaceing every 500 hours.

Yes, we are so lucky. Look what just happened to the Indian Ambassador car after only 50 years. It was just about to become proven technology, ran perfectly full rich, could be overhauled many times, all engine parts available under PMA.

Of course I was equally sad when the Volga production stopped.

Whenever I enter my 2014 BMW i3 electric car, I feel so sad that we’re not all driving Ambassadors and Volgas that have been overhauled at least 5 times.

About 1000 hrs for top overhaul of a four cylinder Continental and 2000 hrs for a similar Lycoming has been my observation. That’s $3900 every 20 and 40 years for me, the owner of one of each, if I’m lazy and don’t overhaul them.

I think I’m fine with that, and never having to buy a new engine.

Cars are not aircraft, and aircraft will never be cars. New cars are ugly and tasteless to me and therefore not where I’ll be spending my money.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 28 May 13:49

And who would of thought in this day and age we would use an engine that the cylinders would need replaceing every 500 hours.

I would not, and nobody should. If your cylinders last 500hrs, there is something seriously wrong with the engine management. Maybe somebody is doing Vx climbs and leaning it?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

They are all very fat companies, hugely over-staffed with a load of geezers wallowing around trying to look busy, and with extremely low productivity.

That reminds me to what the company I work for is becoming

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I would not, and nobody should. If your cylinders last 500hrs, there is something seriously wrong with the engine management. Maybe somebody is doing Vx climbs and leaning it?

Try to find somebody with a P210 and cylinders that last more than 800hrs. Then try to find somebody with a Malibu where they even last that long. The low end (like what Silvaire refers to) is half way durable but the high end is not.

“About 1000 hrs for top overhaul of a four cylinder Continental and 2000 hrs for a similar Lycoming has been my observation. That’s $3900 every 20 and 40 years for me, the owner of one of each”

Then again, an engine that has to run no longer hour per week to reach it’s expected 20 year life can hardly be described as either “an engine”, or “reliable”. Oh wait – it is even better. It has to run one hour a week at 75% rated power max.

The design has proven so successful that hardly any new units are being sold.

I bet if you had a car only running one hour per week it would last at least 200 years.

I have four cars, and run them whenever and wherever I feel like it. Also a number of other vehicles. Shorrick, let us know when you own an aircraft engine. As with owning any property, experience in actually doing it is valuable.

Appears I will have to book a slot to fly the machine asap and report back with some real time experience.

Always looking for adventure
Shoreham
Sign in to add your message