Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

The right aircraft for PPL training

Let’s say you are opening a flying school. Your plan is to offer PPL training and probably you’d like to offer night ratings but that’s about it. Operating costs, while a factor, is not your top priority. You want something that can handle “the student treatment”.

The machine must be EASA certified. No refurbishing, you want factory new. You don’t want to spend more than 150 kEUR.

What do you buy ?

C152

Edit: Sorry, didn’t read the whole sentence. “Factory new” makes it a bit dificult. No C152 then. Honestly, not many factory new CofA (not LSA) aircraft come to mind that can be bought for 150k€. Maybe an Aquila A210, I’ve heard them praised by other instructors, but I’ve never flown in one.

Last Edited by what_next at 24 Apr 11:21
EDDS - Stuttgart

What sort of area is this in, in terms of wealth of the target population?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

What sort of area is this in, in terms of wealth of the target population?

200 EUR / hour (that’s wet without instructor)

Last Edited by Kerwin at 24 Apr 11:22

Da20? Although probably over 150k

EGBB

My club just bought 2 Tecnam P2008. Ask me in a year or so how well it survived the student beating

It’s CS-VLA and day only.

The Aquila was also evaluated, and it would offer VFR night as well, and is of better build quality, but more expensive. Aquila seems to be interested to get it approved for IFR.

LSZK, Switzerland

My club just bought 2 Tecnam P2008

This is definitely a strong contender. However it’s little brother the P2002 didn’t handle the student treatment so well. But maybe that’s a good thing. They probably learned a few things.

P2008

It seems to be doing very well at Shoreham.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Aquila A210 from what I have heard is the best thing out there currently.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

The 210 is no more. It’s the A211 now and it costs almost 200k€ when properly equipped.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 24 Apr 14:27
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
48 Posts
Sign in to add your message