Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

BO208 Junior

ahh, the SAAB Safari…..a.k.a. T17. I have many happy memories in these planes, as the basic trainer in the Danish Airforce. Very agile, +6/-3 g with excellent visibility. I think the Danes are one of the few airforces still doing the initial training on SEP, which I personally think makes for better pilots…

EGTR

I have tried some filming in the Junior yesterday, testing our “new” Actionpro X7. I have flown him for around two or three hours by now and was curious about power off landings. They work fine. I more and more love to fly this little bird. Yesterday I saw easy 110 kts in 2000 ft at 2550 rm with the O200. Not bad at all.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

Very cool… This one’s been for sale for a while in Florida, owned long term by a German living there… http://www.barnstormers.com/ad_detail.php?ID=952265

The engine flies now without having been overhauled since manufacture in 1965. A few years ago (1999 I think) another of the German Bölkow 208 guys flew it from U.S. east coast to west coast and back.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 25 May 20:38

Twenty five Bölkows seen at the annual fly-in today… at EDMQ Genderkingen. Here’s a few of them. Something like four 207s, ten 208s and eleven 209s attending.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 22 Sep 17:01

Ah, i saw our orange Monsun takeoff at EDML, but I had no idea or I would have come too.

Were/are Bolkow Bo208 Juniors used for night flying in EASAland?
(Considering one.)

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

I believe most Juniors are flown as normal certified aircraft in Europe and UK, which must surely include night VFR (?) but a few in the UK are flown on a ‘Permit to Fly’, the limitations of which are always a mystery to an outsider. I’m guessing somebody here will know more.

Having attended last years event, I just received this notice today for the next annual Bölkow fly-in, happening in northern Germany in June.

If they’re being flown Night or IFR, as an EASA aircraft, it would help get that permission for an individual LAA Permit aircraft.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Juniors are certified for VFR day only. (EASA.A.358) They would allow a heck of a view, though.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

Thanks. Were they ever, pre-EASA, night flown? They appear to have all the equipment. Do they have instrument lighting?
(I’m considering joining a Group forming to buy one with a good history.)

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message