Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cirrus Jet (combined thread)

I run to Vmo or Mmo but with FADEC engines you will just set to the CRU detent and will get what you get. You just can’t go over Vmo. So if you want to go fast you will just set at the max cruise power setting. For range you will pull the power back.

In the Mustang you can run at CLB power as max continuous if you want and at high altitude it is only slightly higher N1 than CRU. But there are three fixed settings T/O, CLB, CRU – they are detents and are not adjustable – the FADEC sets them for temp and altitude. You can’t adjust for those setting but can reduce power below CRU.

The key thing to remember is that with turbine aircraft there is no yellow arc.

Last Edited by JasonC at 16 Dec 16:29
EGTK Oxford

Going through the barber pole will also get the crew alerting audio visuals going. Presumably the Mmo is there on these straight wing, deeply subsonic aircraft to protect against flutter – or does the Cirrus Jet have a Mcrit speed?

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

I recall speaking to a TBM850 (G1000) owner who was not happy that the G1000 logged every instance where something got exceeded, and his maintenance bills went up considerably. With the TBM700 this was “not a problem”

Maybe some pilots will be in for a surprise here.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Michael wrote:

Seems appropriate for a low flying, VFR plane

Only slightly faster than your Columbia 300…

LFPT, LFPN

I recall speaking to a TBM850 (G1000) owner who was not happy that the G1000 logged every instance where something got exceeded, and his maintenance bills went up considerably. With the TBM700 this was “not a problem”

I doubt it. In a turboprop presumably he was overtorquing or temping. With FADEC they can’t do that and shouldn’t even be able to hot start. Over speeds won’t be logged and really short of the gear and flap limiting speeds there isn’t much else. If pilots are busting the gear or flap speeds they shouldn’t be flying it. The gear speeds will catch people as they have set it below Vmo. So slowing could be a little tricky unless it has speed brakes.

EGTK Oxford

Good question Jason – 250kts is v low for a Vmo too. Even 260/270 would help, otherwise London/Amsterdam/Brussels are going to level cap them at turboprop levels/routes for separation…

London area

Josh fortunately (or not) it isn’t going to have RVSM so is capped anyway at FL280.

The Mustang has a Vmo/Mmo of 250/0.63 and interestingly I have had no trouble so far in Europe. Always been able to get into the 30s and if looking 370-410 (which i usually am) never a problem. I thought I would get more hassles actually.

The Cirrus should be fine at its PA46 Meridian altitude of 270/280.

Last Edited by JasonC at 16 Dec 20:23
EGTK Oxford

250/0.53 implies a change over altitude of FL180 at ISA, actually change over likely to be lower to protect some margin on Mmo, and on warmer days. KCAS reducing as you switch to Mach above the change over.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

is v low for a Vmo too. Even 260/270 would help, otherwise London/Amsterdam/Brussels are going to level cap them at turboprop levels/routes for separation…

It would be MUAC that’s doing the level capping. Not Lon/Ams/ Bru’s fault…

EBST, Belgium

The G1000 and for older TBM models, the Shadin ETM 700 are there to record exceedances. It is a great safety to know your engine parameters are being recorded in the event that someone else flies your airplane. Of course, the pilot responsible for the exceedance might not find the result to his liking.

We typically see some ITT exceedances that require the PT6 to be checked and in most cases thanks to the robust built, Pratt & Withney is able to issue a deviation letter.

Cheers,

David

Peter 16-Dec-15 17:09 #373
Maybe some pilots will be in for a surprise here.

EGKB LFQQ EBAW
Sign in to add your message