Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Restarting the TB20

I have just come across an email I got in 2003 from another TB20 owner…

@Peter, Morocco being partly an Arab country, I would of course add “Inch’ Allah” to everything written in the TB20 article

Last Edited by Nestor at 04 Apr 20:44
LFLY, France

I don’t have the patience to read the whole 5 pages (sorry)

Just wanted to say that the article was talking about restarting the TB20 with a Diesel/JetA1 nothing else.

ELLX (Luxembourg), Luxembourg

Just wanted to say that the article was talking about restarting the TB20 with a Diesel/JetA1 nothing else.

Isn’t that a bit risky?

• An unproven engine (with Mr Thielert’s “adventures” not helping in the more general case)
  • Almost zero demand in the USA

It would have to be a really irresistible package, and nobody has done that yet. Diamond’s DA40/42 have found relatively few private buyers.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Unproven engine? C’mon. How many do you want built and flying before it gets stamped “proven”?

The Continental Diesels are now proven, and Austro have delivered their 1000th engine. 10 years ago I was skeptical about the Thielerts, especially after my Norwegian club’s two brand new DA40TDI made emergency landings following engine failures. But now I have no second thought about flying a CD135, CD155 or Austro powered airplane.

LFPT, LFPN

You missed the point. A (hypothetical) TB20 would not take off with a CD135, CD155 or current Austro engine. And the “big” Continental (ex SMA) indeed hasn’t flown much yet.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Oops. Yes.

The 180 HP Austro would probably be a little underpowered for that size of aircraft if you would want performance similar to today’s TB20

LFPT, LFPN

With an EPS it might work.

If only I knew what an EPS was.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Very interesting. This is the first time I hear about this engine, and in the process I found this.

The Vision 350 has however barely started its certitication process. I think it would be better to aim at the CD300 (Centurion 4.0) which is more mature, at least if it was built using the same components and accessories as the CD135/155.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 16 Apr 11:24
LFPT, LFPN
Sign in to add your message