Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Strange vibration in A320

No engine sync on large airliners. It is included on bizjets due to the engine configuration and passenger comfort issues. I would be interested to know if rear-engined airliners had any form of engine sync.

A slight change of thrust level can cause out of sync vibration at certain thrust settings but not to the point where Boeing felt a sync system was necessary.

London area

The VC10 had a synchro phase display on the flight engineers panel which was used to synch the engine RPM bu the flight engineer in the cruise. It displayed 3 rotating bars to show three engines RPM fast or slow referenced to a reference engine (can’t remember which one)

Now retired from forums best wishes

Flyer59 wrote:

yesterday I learned that water freezes at 0° C !!

Well, then you didn’t pay attention…

No engine sync on large airliners.

Interesting, I didnt know that, not that I should. I had assumed with the technology established in modern twins like the 42 where the engines sync automatically this would be true of the larger airlines. I cant imagein it is a cost issue so I assume there must / may be some other good reason.

Its interesting on “older” twins how attuned you become to engines out of sync., and how accurately you can “tune” them, much more so than some passengers notice.

Probably why there are so many musicians amongst the pilot fraternity; they have good ears.

Forever learning
EGTB

Josh wrote:

No engine sync on large airliners.

Not too sure about that. I do have a memory abut having discussed engine synchronisation with the captain of a flight on which I flew jumpseat, and still remember the button labeled OFF/N1/N2.

LFPT, LFPN

Did you tell the crew about it?

always learning
LO__, Austria

I thought 0 degrees C was the melting point of ice, water freezes below that temperature (doesn’t it?)

UK, United Kingdom

I think Snoopy turns water into ice regardless of the temperature.

LFPT, LFPN

Aviator – I can speak for pretty much all Boeing/Airbus products. I would surmise the CRJ and other rear-engined regional jets may well have engine sync due to their configuration. All the bizjets I know much about do.

London area
Sign in to add your message