Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

BAe146 ZE700

One of the better known spotters at LSZH (Tis Meyer) jokingly wrote that David Camerons BAe146 ZE700 has its rudder decorated in honour of the centennial of the french horn player’s association of lower cambridgeshire – and the “quality paper” Tagesanzeiger copied it unchecked They’ve now corrected it in the main text, but it’s still in the flash video.

LSZK, Switzerland

Interesting pictures. Are these things at the aft fuselage flare dispensers?

United Kingdom

The most amusing is that the musical instrument pictured bears only little resemblance to the one called (rather anachronistically) a “French Horn” – at best it could suggest a hunting horn, a much more primitive instrument.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

It’s part of the insignia from RAF squadron 32 which was founded in WW1 in 1916. It’s a primitive hunting horn – there are similar instruments on lots of regimentary insignia and if you google ‘hunting horn’ then you’ll find lots of English instruments that look something like this. I have something similar that is basically just a cow-horn with the pointy end lopped off. It only plays one note really well, but they were LOUD!

Initially they were used on the battlefield to communicate orders; later on observer planes used them briefly to direct ground-based artillery until radios became sufficiently practical.

DOI I collect horn-related instruments, but had to verify most of the above by Google. Jan – are you a scandalised horn player? If so then we should definitely meet up at some point.

Tis is a terriffic photographer and also a very nice guy. His travel reports are top of the class. His website is well worth spending some time on.

Last year he blew everyone away with his awesome pics of the Patrouille Suisse / Swiss display at the Lauberhorn, he´s done it again this year.

This is the like to the forum post in question

This is quite typical for that particular newspaper. The current “Aviation expert” and senior editor (not sure if he is even editor in chief) was quite instrumental in the media campaign to bring down Swissair, as well as other rather embarrassing political smear campaigns against Swiss aviation interests.

Personally, I have for quite a long time stopped to read this paper, better for my nerves. We had a very good laugh about this thing today at work though.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 25 Jan 19:25
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
Jan – are you a scandalised horn player?

[ < [ further than ever off-topic…

Negative, myself play the accordion mainly. My office neighbour does play the horn, though, he even seems to have some local reputation, and I did feel for him. But I must plead guilty to being lightly scandalised.

Of course we ought to meet up anyway, no need for horns of any kind. Vichy homebuilders meet next July? Schaffen mid-August?

Last Edited by at 25 Jan 19:41
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Unfortunately my little boy is 3.5 and I don’t usually get more than a day off at a time to play, but hopefully I’ll get to one of the fly-ins sooner or later…

Little boys like to fly! That was the time when mine liked it best. Now, with 13, he is discovering other aspects of life ;-)

I’m going to hire a 172 and take him up fairly soon, though when I think about it he’s the only passenger I might just be able to squeeze into my Turbulent.

The only aircraft he’s ever shown any interest in is the Vulcan – been along to a few shows with him. He slept through it the first time, but now whenever he’s in the playpark he says ‘Daddy, this is the runway and the Vulcan is going to come and take us to Germany/Holland/France…’

9 Posts
Sign in to add your message