Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cirrus BRS / chute discussion, and would you REALLY pull it?

Steve6443 wrote:

I’d rather have an aircraft running out of fuel descending under a parachute at 17 MPH than an aircraft out of control

Not sure what you mean by out of control. What happens when the engine stops? Does the pilots brain freeze or the control surfaces lock up? Those are the only 2 out of control situations I can see with an engine stoppage. What happens with gliders that have no engine? Are they out of control?

I would need more info about the incident before I would even venture an opinion.

KHTO, LHTL

C210_Flyer wrote:

Not sure what you mean by out of control. What happens when the engine stops? Does the pilots brain freeze or the control surfaces lock up? Those are the only 2 out of control situations I can see with an engine stoppage. What happens with gliders that have no engine? Are they out of control?

I would need more info about the incident before I would even venture an opinion.

This was the incident I was referring to in Manchester. The Pilot took off with the fuel selector not properly positioned, ran the pipes dry and declared an emergency – a pity he didn’t “aviate, navigate, communicate”, instead he “communicated” such that the Tomahawk stalled and crashed out of control into a house.

I was playing Devil’s advocate to USFlyer who was trying to stir things somewhat because a Cirrus came down under a ‘chute close to a house – the inference being it’s only a matter of time until a Cirrus lands on a house when descending under it’s CAPS. To counter that, my point was that other aircraft have actually HIT houses and the result of an out of control plane colliding with a house can be significantly more devastating than a Cirrus floating down under it’s parachute, striking it. I also specifically chose that example of the Tomahawk because in both cases the aircraft didn’t actually suffer from fuel exhaustion – the Tomahawk was due to fuel starvation because the selector was wrongly positioned, the second was a pilot in over his head, failing three approaches in low IMC, running out of fuel and deciding to pull before too late.

I get the picture that USFlyer doesn’t like Cirrus, he doesn’t particularly rate the Chute but that’s ok, he doesn’t have to fly them if he dislikes them so much. However I just hope he doesn’t end up in the same position as this unfortunate pilot, hoping and praying for a good outcome.

EDL*, Germany

I get the picture that USFlyer doesn’t like Cirrus,

Where did you get that impression? Reading his posts across other threads, too, he seems like one clear posterboy for the Cirrus. After all he claims he ordered a new SR22, upgrading from his CT. Of course through the veil of anonymity there is no way to tell …

Last Edited by mh at 11 Jan 13:56
mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

mh wrote:

Where did you get that impression? Reading his posts across other threads, too, he seems like one clear posterboy for the Cirrus. After all he claims he ordered a new SR22, upgrading from his CT. Of course through the veil of anonymity there is no way to tell …

That last comment about the Cirrus coming down under it’s chute close to a house…… my inference / my take of his comment was that the people in the house were fortunate not to have been flattened by said aircraft and that sooner or later, due to the incompetence of pilots of Cirrus aircraft, it will happen…….

EDL*, Germany

Steve6443 wrote:

the second was a pilot in over his head, failing three approaches in low IMC, running out of fuel and deciding to pull before too late

Which I guess is one of the intended usage modes for CAPS and he did make the best decision he could have in [t]his particular case. Perhaps pulling over the airport would have been even better, but as long as the only things hurt were the pilot’s ego and insurance company’s balance sheet, that sound to me like a good outcome.

A few years back four people died after failing an IMC approach to EPKT and NOT pulling the chute (granted, the VFR only pilot ran one tank dry and didn’t switch tanks, but that is exactly the “in over one’s head” situation where he should have pulled).

FWIW, I think USFlyer is EuroGA’s biggest Cirrus fan ;-)

(edited since mh beat me to posting): he also is in line for the jet, if I recall correctly ;-)

Last Edited by tmo at 11 Jan 14:19
tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

Steve6443 wrote:

USFlyer doesn’t like Cirrus

True I was being a little provocative by bringing the Cirrus-hits-house chute pull but not in the way you guess….I just ordered a new Cirrus SR22T (delivery in first week of March). I currently own a Flight Design CTLSi….both planes have a parachute – my wife will not fly without one, and now that I have seen the history of chute pulls and arguments back and forth, neither will I…

Your wife is a smart woman.

KHTO, LHTL

Cirrus impact after chute pull video

A nice visualisation of the speed at which one comes down:

Link

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Any landing you walk away from is a good landing!

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Interesting to see how the landing gear absorbs a lot of energy. Congrats to these two!

Last Edited by 172driver at 08 Mar 19:35
Sign in to add your message