Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cirrus BRS / chute discussion, and would you REALLY pull it?

Alexis wrote:

Maybe have a look at Cirrus Marketing before commenting on it? Where does it say “.. has saved x lives”?

http://cirrusaircraft.com/innovation/airframe-parachute/

On page 7.

Thanks for the link btw. Interesting information.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 28 Aug 06:25
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Rwy20 wrote:

This discussion is tiring to say the least,

Yes, indeed. Since any criticism — however slight — of the Cirrus aircraft or marketing brings a reaction like you have said you dislike the aircraft, the BRS or even that you hope that it will fail.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 28 Aug 06:31
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I wonder, just wonder, if Cirrus owners are related to Tesla owners

Alexis wrote:

Of course the – certified- CAPS system has saved lives

Please, – certified “CAPS” A chute is a chute – period. It’s slightly more advanced than an umbrella. Glider pilots use chutes (backpack style), and there are lots of examples they have saved lives due to it. The reason is gliders fly in flocks, a few meters apart, and every now and then they get a bit too close. Cirrus pilots don’t fly like that, they fly in straight lines on autopilot, under control and separated by ATC.

Microlights used to have cheap two stroke engines that had a habit of stopping quite often “for no apparent reason”. People pulled chutes all over the place – and survived, but people who didn’t pull chutes also survived just as often. Those days are gone (except for some die hard enthusiasts), but still every now and then, someone fly VFR (un or not) intentional into IMC and see no other way out than pulling the chute. There are also some examples of pieces of the airplane falling off and where there is no other way of surviving than a chute. But these last cases are few and far apart, you have a higher chance of being struck by lightning, statistically.

Flying at night with a single engine, and your ability to find a nice patch of land to put the aircraft down on is very limited. In these and similar circumstances I would guess a chute is a nice thing, sort of a poor man’s twin in a way.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Of course that is completely wrong. A self installed and untested BRS system in a microlight cannot be compared with CAPS that was tested by Cirrus and certified by the FAA.

BRS systems in microlights have failed many times, while the CAPS system has failed once when used within its parameters, and that was after a maintenance mistake. Other than that it has saved pilots when released at indicated airspeeds close to 200 knots without failing.

Tesla S will be my next car. Yes, I like modern (and good looking) stuff. And I am not sorry ;-)

Last Edited by at 28 Aug 08:39

I think the chute in the Cirrus was the best thing ever invented in GA. It’s probably the only reason why Cirrus is selling airplanes and the other brands aren’t.
I cannot understand why so many people are desperately trying to argue about the simple fact that the Cirrus’s chute saves lives. I say that as a Beech owner – I like the Beech better, because – to me – it’s envelope suits me better. But I have to accept, and have accepted, the principal fact that in a given situation, I could worst case bite the dust in the Beech, while in a Cirrus I’d see the other day. That’s a given for me, no reason to argue against.

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

You know what? I love the Bonanza, and I always wanted to have one. I like the classic appearance, the solid finish, everything about it, really. For many years I prefered metal airplanes. But when I got into the financial position to buy an airplane in this class I decided for the Cirrus, and it was because of the chute and the nicley integrated avionics.

If the Columbia had a BRS they would sell many more than they do. I came to really like the smooth finish, the efficiency and the flight characeristics of the Cirrus but if the B36 had the chute it would be an even better airplane than it already is.

Last Edited by at 29 Aug 17:44

I cannot understand why so many people are desperately trying to argue about the simple fact that the Cirrus’s chute saves lives

Nobody is saying that, so perhaps this is an issue with English interpretation.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I just see a lot of that stuff, really. Whenever the word “Cirrus” appears in GA thread in any forum, that thread is doomed to go only one route, which is all about: oh, but is the chute fully reliable ? and: oh but it hasn’t saved all lives !, and: oh, it makes pilots accept higher risks. QED.

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

Plus: “look at that list of accidents, those would not have happened if the pilots could fly”.

Peter wrote:

A pity because the SR22 is a good plane and probably the best touring SEP you can buy new right now.

…apart from the Cessna T240

LFPT, LFPN
Sign in to add your message