Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

The various C172 Reims Rocket / Hawk XP models

I cannot find a list of differences between the various versions of the C172 Reims Rockets / Hawk XPs. I realize it is probably me not knowing how to get the search terms right, but can anyone please either provide some input, or point me to an existing resource? Thanks in advance!

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

The Reims Rocket, produced in France (ca. 1965-1975) has a IO-360-H with 210 hp, while the Hawk XP was produced in both the USA and France (1977-1981) and had the IO-360-K with 195 hp.

Last Edited by at 12 Jul 20:33

The June 1977 edition of Flying magazine has a nice article on the XP. Don’t forget the T-41 Mescalero… I believe a higher powered US Army variant of the C172 is how the design originally came into being. Some fly now as civilian planes.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 12 Jul 20:56

Well, yes, but I’m looking for the differences between, for example, a 1973 and a 1975 model of a RR. Would it be equivalent to the changes in the base 172? I seem to recall different years had e.g. different props. TIA!

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

The 195 HP engine has 200 rpm lower red line propeller speed but the Continental engine is otherwise identical to the 210 HP version. As a result, and as the Flying Magazine article explains, you can cruise the ‘lower powered’ engine at 80% of rated power… so for cruise its not really derated.

The Type Certificate Data Sheet has some detailed into – note that these types are actually derivations of the Cessna 175, despite the company selling them as 172s.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 12 Jul 21:16

Is it true that the planes produced in France was anti-corrosion treated before paint whereas the US build cessna was just painted?

pmh
ekbr ekbi, Denmark

AFAIK all Reims built Cessnas had the factory corrosion protection while for the US models it was an option, and many don’t have it.

I just love my R172K.

UK, United Kingdom

@Fenland_Flyer – and what is the difference between your K and a J or an E – do you know?

Silvaire – thanks for the TCDS idea, that’s a starting point; what I was really hoping for is something like the Cessna 182 History PDF from CPA. I guess the Buyer’s Guide would have this info, but I’m not determined enough to buy it, yet.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

tmo – sorry but I have really no idea. I moved from a C172M to the R172K and found the difference quite remarkable. For example I found the cabin bigger which was quite a surprise. I also have some mods such as an ISHAM which helps with power and as a result I flight plan at 125knots on about 35 litres per hour. It has always achieved this since I purchased it. I would also say that with the weight/energy and VP prop etc. it took a while to learn it all and get me ahead of the aircraft. Even with all the similarities with the 172M there was a learning curve. Even the fuel management is different.

UK, United Kingdom
25 Posts
Sign in to add your message