Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cirri desire...

Avanti, yes…

@loco

European doesn’t preclude from catering to overseas markets.
Are there more TBMs in Europe or the US?
More DA42s privately flown in Europe or the US?
Etc…

always learning
LO__, Austria

The US market is about mobility in modern, reliable airplanes.
The EU market is about flying patterns in old cans.

So that must be why almost all innovative manufacturers are European…

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

Cirrus appeals to me optically. I like the ramp presence. Looks clean, big and sturdy.
It appeals to me because of the chute.
Inside I don’t like it too much. It’s flimsy, doesn’t fly nicely and the ancient avgas engine makes the plane noisy and causes vibration.
A DA40NG is much more enjoyable to hand fly and very quiet. But next to the Cirrus it looks like a mosquito.
I’d go for a DA42 instead of a Cirrus would I buy instead of rent.

In the end most piston singles are the same.
The real difference gets going between piston and turbine. Many people don’t have the time or desire to deal with old planes and go for new and hassle free, spending lots of money (or maxing out their credit). What’s the difference between a new and a 40 year old C172? Not much. What’s the difference between a new C172 and a Cirrus? Utility wise, not much. But the Cirrus looks modern, has a chute and some other bells and whistles.
Cirrus took what’s been available on the market for 50 years, tweaked it and priced it smartly below the turbine class planes. 1 mil vs 3+ mil.
The US market is about mobility in modern, reliable airplanes.
The EU market is about flying patterns in old cans.
Cirrus sells a lifestyle and people pay for it.

Ramp appeal and image sells airplanes too.

always learning
LO__, Austria

I guess there are people who want the best in class and accept mainstream. They’d fly a Cirrus or drive a Porsche.

Then there are those who would rather be different. They may find a parameter that is important to them, obsess over it and find something that matches. Or just buy because something looks good or makes the right noise.

AdamFrisch, AFAIR you like the Avanti. Means you have taste. That’s why you can’t get excited with Cirrus.

LPFR, Poland

As honest as you like to read it. FWIW, Diamonds and Tecnams are not much better, just not with such a good marketing team.

Truth is, that people who already have a poetic relationship with aviation value aircraft differently to those new to aviation, and that the SR types are designed for exactly that requirement. The loss of interst by aviators is more than compensated by the extention to new markets. So although I know very very few aviators to whom the SRs appeal, I must acknowledge their business capabilities and whit.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

mh wrote:

Because you’re an aviator and see different things in an aircraft, compared to the Cirrus target group. Affects me the same way. Cirrus is all about new, about creature comfort, about a BMW 5* with wings. Comforting, clean, sterile, slick. Nothing to long for, if you are an aviator. Then you seek character, performance, excitement, ramp appeal. Cirrus has nil of that.

I think this is an unfortunate way to characterise things. “Aviator”? Really?

And why just Cirrus? Diamonds any better? PA46s? TBMs? Tecnams?

EGTK Oxford

AdamFrisch wrote:

I don’t undertand why I’m so immune to their charms? Why can’t I get excited bout Cirri?

Because you’re an aviator and see different things in an aircraft, compared to the Cirrus target group. Affects me the same way. Cirrus is all about new, about creature comfort, about a BMW 5* with wings. Comforting, clean, sterile, slick. Nothing to long for, if you are an aviator. Then you seek character, performance, excitement, ramp appeal. Cirrus has nil of that.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

I never was attracted by the SR series but I have to say I am intrigued by the Jet. I sat inside it at FHA and thought how it would change my flying. Comfortable pressurized cabin, flying mostly above the weather and 100 kts faster in the speed really rises a ‘want’ factor.

Looking at it not from the Jet perspective but from that of a Sep pilot, the SF50 really makes a very large temptation.

Even though I can get almost the same thing from a Mooney Acclaim in terms of speed and altitude as well as FIKI, it’s simply a different league.

We don’t have to warm up the other stuff Cirrus have done right.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

One interesting aspect of Cirruses is the number of people who buy new ones every 1 or 2 years. It’s not obvious why, on features, but many people do the same with cars. I know one guy who buys every 2 years and my guess is that his depreciation costs are c. £100k a year.

The first Cirrus Jet owner got through c. eight SR22s in 8 years – it is in the Cirrus Jet thread.

It could be that we don’t see this on other types simply because there are not many types still available new. But I don’t recall anyone doing this with a DA40 or DA42.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message