Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

CONCORDE version 2?

I lived for a while about 50 miles West of Paris. Twice a day the Concorde thundered overhead, already much higher than the rest of the traffic but still way noisier. Much as I liked hearing it, it was clear that a sky full of them would have started to get annoying.

I can’t see that the Anglo-French Concorde was a produce of the European class system. You could equally argue that the USA subsidises airfields for rich people but has crappy public transport for the less well off. If fuel hadn’t gotten so expensive, and if it hadn’t been as noisy, then it would have been a much more viable proposition.

Airports are for everybody in the US, and are public transport infrastructure. My two planes cost less than my cars, which were cheap because I don’t waste money on cars

Last Edited by Silvaire at 05 Jul 21:11

We lived in the south east of England for a while and I’d see Concorde coming over twice a day. I’d always look up and watch.

We also lived close to the Bell Inn in Aldworth (a pub that had been in the same family for 5 generations, probably 6 now). Brian Calvert (Concorde captain, I think) used to drink there. The pub ended up chartering Concorde for a trip around the Bay of Biscay and was (probably still is) festooned with Concorde memorabilia. The BA cricket team would have a match against the village team every year too (the cricket club adjoined the pub).

Last Edited by alioth at 09 Jul 12:38
Andreas IOM

I remember a retired fireman living in Rockaway Beach on Long Island in quite some medical condition…. for many years he reported every day when Concorde passed and posted many pictures… We feared for his live when the AA306 came down very close to where he lived, in fact his old engine responded to that crash… Never heard back from him after Concorde was grounded…. probably faded away poor guy.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
24 Posts
Sign in to add your message