Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Airport Restaurant Reviews

On a slightly less grand scale, we tried the new ‘Wings’ café at North Weald (EGSX) on Wednesday this week. It’s in the south-west corner of the airfield. The girl behind the counter could not have been more welcoming and friendly. They have a ‘meal deal’ on every day apparently – we had Scampi, Chips & Salad, a cup of tea and a delicious home made apple pie and custard all for £8.95 per person. The portions were generous and we will definitely be returning. I am delighted to have found somewhere to recommend this, as I think it is a fairly new enterprise and the word needs to get out that there is an alternative option to the traditional fare of either a fry up/roast dinner at the squadron café on the northern side.

UK, United Kingdom

For UK airport restaurants, see this earlier thread on EuroGA

EGBJ and Firs Farm, United Kingdom

Gamston has a fabulous restaurant on the airfield……unfortunately the landing fee will give you indigestion….WOW!!

Friedrichshafen EDNY has a good italian restaurant, the LSC. The City is easy to reach by train, too.

The restaurant at Bad Dürkheim EDRF has very good salads. More traditional German meals here.

Paderborn Lipstadt EDLP has the Quax Hangar and the restaurant there is supposed to be good, but I just had coffee there. Very nice flair.

Juist EDWJ is famous for their crab Sandwich. After the meal, it’s just 5 Minutes to the beach.

Nordhorn EDWN is said to have a good Restaurant. I usually drink coffee there, when one of my students makes solo circuits.

Aachen EDKA is good, too. Standard meals but fresh and tasty.

Arnsberg EDLA has a very good restaurnat with hotel. Modern flair with a good cook. Not too expensive.

Aschaffenburg EDFC has an Indian restaurant, which is okay. No haute cuisine, more like a good cantine. More quantity than quality.

Last Edited by mh at 15 Feb 11:39
mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

Auch LFDH fantastic lunch there last summer. Lost count of the number of courses!
Just as well didn’t do a W&B afterwards.

EGBJ, EGBP, EGTW, EGVN, EGBS

I second Peter’s sentiments on the restaurant at Cherbourg, run by Luc and Edith, a terrific venue.
Calais has had a resurgence, since the new management took over last year. Not bad at all.

Gamston has a fabulous restaurant on the airfield……unfortunately the landing fee will give you indigestion….WOW!!

Last time I looked the landing fee at Gamston was £15 for a single, the price of about 5 minutes flying in a 4 seat tourer. Why are pilots so reluctant to pay what is realistically a tiny fee to use a facility that costs so much? Gamston is well maintained and professionally run with a decent radio service. I have paid a tenner at nothing more than a grass strip with nothing there, and to be fair I am happy to do so as I want there to be places to fly to.

I agree that the restaurant at Gamston is good, sot as cheap as they typical airfield cafe, but still value. I am based there and often go in.

http://forums.flyer.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=59439

Last Edited by Neil at 15 Feb 15:18
Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

To revive this old thread: I recently had one of my best meals ever la “La Speziana” airfield, east of Pavia, near the river Po. Surprisingly, the bill was only 17 €!

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Very good, Jan. I always used to like it, too.

Airport restaurants in southern Europe really play in a different league (as we say) than airport restaurants in the northern part. I write this as I’m sitting here at the restaurant at Würzburg-Schenkenturm (EDFW). A nice place, managed by italians, but the food and the atmosphere are no comparison.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 12 Apr 15:07
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
19 Posts
Sign in to add your message