Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Airport with a maximum crosswind figure

Today, departing from LFAT (Le Touquet, France) we found the runway closed. Apparently above 25kt they are required to close the runway.

This seems very unusual.

In the end we managed to get away as the wind momentarily dropped just below the magic number.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Not that unusual. At LFRQ it‘s nearly the same. The difference is but if crosswind above 25 knots and wet runway or while doing an LVP approach.

EDDS , Germany

Yes they have a max 25kts crosswind, I think I mentioned this one day for LFAT with ATC? for my case I was instructed to hold as it was 20kts crosswind on landing with wet runway (I wonder how one DC3 managed it, also wonder how they flew in IMC as we both were in FL80 from Paris but it did decay later on the day), other airports have something similar but they are between mountains (e.g. LaMole 15kts with AFIS)

Maybe worth learning French for auto-info at lunch time ?

Last Edited by Ibra at 05 Feb 20:56
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Funchal is a fairly well known one with very specific wind limits, not necessarily just a crosswind.

United Kingdom

Apparently above 25kt they are required to close the runway.

Wonder what Mermoz et al would say about this… bet the same I’m thinking, e.g. true expression unable due open website rating restrictions

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Politely, I would say it’s a bit silly. Most aircraft have a maximum demonstrated crosswind figure, and then it’s up to a PIC to use his/her common sense, about whether or not to take off or land. Sometimes these days people seem to feel the need to spoon feed.
That’s not to say there aren’t a lot of pilots who need spoon feeding.

France

Allways said they should of kept 500 meters of the crosswind runway at Le Touquet.

Would it have had a cost versus income benefit?
I doubt it. A 25kt + crosswind is possibly rare and most club pilots would simply hang around until the wind changes. At a coastal airport the wind changes quite frequently.

France

It makes sense at an airport such as Funchal which has unusual orographic effects unrelated to crosswind. But what’s the reason at Le Touquet?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

But what’s the reason at Le Touquet?

None to do with topography but it gets windy

I think there has been accidents in airliners (e.g. Carvairs) but many incidents (+20?) were in tailwheels mostly visiting UK Permit-to-Fly and tailwheel Microlights from UK, they are obliged to use “tarmac runway for customs” and “English language ATC”, the only grass runway with customs & controllers to cross English Channel with acceptable 2h endurance is Merville

+25kts in TB20 on +1km pavement is largely doable by a pilot who regularly flies it (it’s POH demo? and very stable and heavy wing) but probably too much for D31 Turbulent or PA18 Cub…

Last Edited by Ibra at 06 Feb 09:59
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
23 Posts
Sign in to add your message