Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Altimeter temperature corrections coming with winter?

Here is a question perhaps more for our northern friends (Southern France is more unlikely being concerned when not flying every day as a pro):

As pilots, do you apply temperature corrections to DA/DH MDA/MDH altitudes in temperatures below 0°C? Is it needed for FAF crossing? What about MSAs?

France

The approach chart will usually contain a remark that below -15C the numbers given will not be valid. To my understand that’s when you need to correct.

Frequent travels around Europe

I saw that on (Baro-VNAV) GNSS approaches. It is said that below -20°C (GNSS 14L/14R at LFBO) you are not authorized to use the approach. The more often is a 15°C limit as you pointed out. That seems very clear as with other type of approaches, there could be a correction factor.

Last Edited by Flyamax at 27 Nov 15:31
France

Flyamax wrote:

Here is a question perhaps more for our northern friends (Southern France is more unlikely being concerned when not flying every day as a pro):

As pilots, do you apply temperature corrections to DA/DH MDA/MDH altitudes in temperatures below 0°C?

Yes, absolutely.

Is it needed for FAF crossing? What about MSAs?

Yes. To take an example… Suppose the temperature on the ground is -10°, the FAF altitude is 1500 ft and the temperature at 1500 ft is -5° (there is usually an inversion when ground temperatures are that low). On the average, that is ISA-21°. Then the altimeter will read about 125 ft low. That’s 1/4 of the minimum obstacle clearance at the FAF…

Not to mention that ILS check altitudes won’t match unless you correct for temperature.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Here is a comprehensive article on this.

http://code7700.com/altimeter_temperature_correction.html

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Airborne_Again wrote:

Then the altimeter will read about 125 ft low.
I mean high, of course….

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

There is a free App for iPhone and iPad which can easily calculate the altimeter corrections (and decode MOTNE codes which is more useful to me) called “ColdAirOps”. Luckily I rarely encounter temperatures where that really matters.

EDDS - Stuttgart
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message