Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Need some advice for EHR4B

Two days ago, we were on the isle of Texel. On the way to Texel we came from the south so it wasnˋt a problem, but on the way back we decided to follow the northern coast line of the netherlands back to germany. To shorten the way we ask for advice in the tower how to cross the EHR4B in the right way. Upper limit 4000ft of the EHR4B and lower limit FL65 of EHTRA10B. QNH1029. Flying eastbound above 3000ft requires to set the altimeter to standard and choose either FL35 or FL55. Would you cross the restricted area with an altimeter setting to standard so you stay with FL55 below the lower limit of the EHTRA10B or would you cross the area EHR4B with local QNH to stay above the upper limit of 4000ft?

Finaly we asked Dutch Mil for crossing the EHR4 west to east and it was approved but this is not the topic her. Dutch Mil is not always so communicative as on this day.

Last Edited by Tigerflyer at 26 Aug 10:03
EDWF, Germany

Tigerflyer wrote:

Flying eastbound above 3000ft requires to set the altimeter to standard and choose either FL35 or FL55. Would you cross the restricted area with an altimeter setting to standard so you stay with FL55 below the lower limit of the EHTRA10B or would you cross the area EHR4B with local QNH to stay above the upper limit of 4000ft?

The short answer is as long as you are at “the righ place”, it does not matter what datum you have in altimeter altough it helps to set STD on climbs and QNH on descents but I am sure someone will post chapters & versets on various SOP (set STD>3kft, set QNH<3kft, set QNH at TOD if not planning to level during descente, you need to set STD/QNH above/bellow TL/TA, you set when ATC asks, you set QFE in circuit, you set QNH near MSA…)

Why not just fly FL55 on STD and monitor 4000ft on QNH in 2nd altimeter (or your head, it’s (1029-1013)*30ft delta and on hot temperature & high pressure VMC days with nice weather flight levels are pushed higher than altitudes while in cold temperature & low pressure IMC days with miserable weather flight levels needs low pressure/temperature corrections)

Tigerflyer wrote:

Dutch Mil is not always so communicative as on this day.

I got them to talk once after 6th call by setting 7600

Last Edited by Ibra at 26 Aug 10:41
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

In this case I would always contact Dutch Mil first. If they allow you to cross, it is easy, otherwise you can always decide to go over EHR4B at FL55.

Aopa NL has some advice/explanation how to cross the EHR4, unfortunately it is only in Dutch
https://www.aopa.nl/index.php?page=1333&sid=3

Dutch AIP

1.1 Transition altitude/transition level
The transition altitude is 3000 ft for IFR flights and 3500 ft for VFR flights in the entire Amsterdam FIR1).
The transition level for the entire Amsterdam FIR is positioned at or above 4000 ft AMSL and is determined hourly.
Including the North Sea area V up to and including FL 055.

So when flying at FL55, there is almost no chance to end up below 4000 ft.
If you want to fly the other way to Texel at FL45 it becomes more interesting.
Then I would check the transition level, if that is FL45 or lower it is ok, then you could fly at FL45.
If not you have to contact Dutch Mil for crossing, as you can only fly at FL45 (between 4000-FL60) according the AIP, which would be below the 4000ft if the transition level is higher.

VFR flights operated in level cruising flight above 3500 ft AMSL shall be conducted at a flight level appropriate to the track as specified in paragraph 3.4 (table of cruising levels), except when otherwise indicated in ATC clearances.

Last Edited by RikB at 26 Aug 11:36
EHEH, Netherlands

I got an answere by eMail from the Dutsch Mil Supervisor on this question. May be someone is interessted in this:

I received your email from LVNL and would like to give a short reply.

Since we have the responsibility of ensuring that we uphold the highest possible safety standard and the fact that I am not a pilot I can only emphasize the importance of staying clear of a restricted area and the way to ensure that is not my field of expertise.

Your suggestion to fly just above the EHR4B on the regional QNH AMS sounds like a solution since the 4000ft of the EHR4B is based on AMSL. On the other hand, the actual TL (transition level) in the Netherlands is always at least 1000ft above 3000ft AMSL (QNH), therefore flying on SAS at or above TL should keep you clear of the EHR4B.

EDWF, Germany
4 Posts
Sign in to add your message