Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

An afternoon raid to Newquay EGHQ

The N2N tail number seems to have been transferred to another, bigger, Gulfstream in March 2014. So although the registration is the same, this was not Jobs’ G-V.

LFPT, LFPN

I can hardly believe that N2N aircraft reg! IIRC, all the single digit tail numbers were pre-allocated to the FAA.

Not at all. This aircraft also doesn’t look to me like it’s an FAA one:

Re food in Britain, it just takes some looking (and is sometimes pricey). Last week, I was at the Rick Stein in Sandbanks and it must be among the best fish restaurants I’ve ever been to. Also, the mussels I had at the Gee Whites in Swanage were the best I’ve ever had…

Last Edited by boscomantico at 28 Jul 17:40
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

It’s OK, Nestor I just have this funny habit of taking the p1ss out of all the signs which the UK is full of, and around which a whole “business culture” has grown up. I am sure the UK is worse than most places in this respect.

Newquay is really nice. The beach is worth a visit. As a Frenchman it will take you a while to get used to what they call “food” there, however

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

This forum is becoming too political for me. I didn’t mean to be provocative. I just took a picture of the airport’s sign !
I’m pretty sure Britain had regional development subsidies before joining the EU/EEC and will hopefully still have them after leaving the EU. All countries have some sort of subsidies to level the development between urban areas and remote rural areas.
At least this money resulted in a nice airport with immigration control and attracted us, the French pilots
This forum is irreplaceable for aviation !

Last Edited by Nestor at 28 Jul 17:29
LFLY, France

Peter wrote:

is based in the SW UK which needs the money

…. and voted Leave. Just sayin’……..

Nestor wrote:

The pub within walking distance from parking (yes, it’s Britain !)

You obviously have to discover the charms of nearby Belgium! Only the fewest fields do not have a good bar/resto on the grounds.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Quote I can hardly believe that N2N aircraft reg! IIRC, all the single digit tail numbers were pre-allocated to the FAA.

@Peter, here is the link. I hope this is not a hoax.

Last Edited by Nestor at 28 Jul 14:03
LFLY, France

I can hardly believe that N2N aircraft reg! IIRC, all the single digit tail numbers were pre-allocated to the FAA.

I recall flying a PAR approach into Newquay (St Mawgan as it used to be called in the RAF days). The RAF controller spoke so fast I could not understand anything she said (neither could my co-pilot) and I had to abort and just fly the ILS

Speaking of that sign, this is how I read it

This (i.e. all of us)

paid €10k for this artistic impression of the airport

and paid €10k for this PR wording

and paid €10k for this logo

(behind which is another gravy train)

and the whole sign would have cost €10k, including a risk assessment by a Univ of Upper Warlingham MBA

I hope the PR agency is based in the SW UK which needs the money

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks a lot @Aviathor for allowing me as a passenger on this flight
I learnt a lot because it was my first SR22 flight and only my second long IFR flight, and it had very real IMC conditions !

Here are some pictures from this memorable flight.

Nice Avionics

On short final in Caen LFRK

The plane in Caen LFRK

Newquay EGHQ airport’s entrance sign (I was here !)

The pub within walking distance from parking (yes, it’s Britain !)

Leaving Newquay EGHQ’s sandy beaches (before going IMC again!)

Nice view of the Channel (la Manche !)

On final in Dinard LFRD

Parking our aircraft in Dinard LFRD, alongside N2N, the G650 business jet given to Steve Jobs as 1999 bonus by Apple.
Quite cool for a pilot working in software

Back to Pontoise LFPT at dusk (it was a long day !)

Last Edited by Nestor at 28 Jul 13:43
LFLY, France

I called the Dinard airport to figure out why there seems to be a discrepancy between the effective OPS/Customs hours and what is published in AIP/NOTAM. The person I talked to said that several others had also been caught out by this and was going to investigate. My guess is that they converted LT using UTC+1 and did not specify a different offset for DST.

They close at 20:00 LT, which amounts to 18Z when daylight saving time is in effect.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 28 Jul 08:59
LFPT, LFPN
12 Posts
Sign in to add your message