Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

An aviator’s happiest moments are the day he buys his own airplane AND the day he sells it

Sorry, no. The contrary is true. Electric cars are 10x more enjoyable.

It’s ok, I wasn’t being serious; just slagging you
You spend so much of your time going on about electric cars, that I couldn’t miss the opportunity when you said you don’t like driving

EIWT Weston, Ireland

achimha wrote:

driving seems like a waste of time.

Hardly.

The day they ban cars around here or make it impossible for me to drive is the day I leave here. For good.

Going to work by car from where I am takes 6-7 minutes. Going the same way with a bus, which only leaves every 30 minutes, takes door to door 30 minutes at least, if I miss one it can take over an hour or I have to call a taxi.

I’ve had to go to Davos by train the other day, endless hassle and 4 hours invested door to door when I could have done it in 2.5 by car.

My time is too precious to me for wasting it on public transport.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Mooney_Driver wrote:

That implies that you have no use of your time while on public transport. See, we’re quite different there.

The ideal combination of personal transport flexibility + privacy and not having to focus one’s attention on a dull job (= driving) is the self driving car. I am waiting, the money is already stacked on my table ready for when the first good product becomes available.

Mooney_Driver wrote:

achimha wrote:
driving seems like a waste of time.

Mooney_Driver wrote:

These statements are not mutually exclusive with autonomous driving.

ESMK, Sweden

achimha wrote:

That implies that you have no use of your time while on public transport. See, we’re quite different there.

No. 90% of the time it is standing room only. And the time to work and back is mostly on foot plus on a bus.

6 minutes of driving vs 30 to 40 minutes in massive discomfort is a no brainer for me.

Apart, I like driving. I have my almost 20 year old Camry which is a very comfortable car and I can relax on the wheel like almost nowhere else. For me, self-driving cars? What is the point? Ok, a car with autopilot for the motorway segments, why not, after all I also have one on my Mooney, but I still like to drive and fly by hand from time to time.

Davos, like Laax is 2.5h by car except on ski weekends, when you can watch the bottleneck from the (relative) comfort of the SBB :-)

That’s probably what the first self driving cars will be like: drive on autopilot on the highway, if you want. This is also much easier to solve than traffic in the city, so I bet the first ones will offer autopilot for highways.

I like driving too, but many times I would rather write an eMail or read or do something else, ..so I am actually looking forward to more automation.

My Mercedes actually does have a self driving mode, but you have to use/touch the steering after 30 seconds. Works pretty well but is not totally reliable. But works perfectly belwo 30 k in city traffic jams. The radar controls the distance to the preceding car (stop and go is fully automatic) and all you have to do is change lanes.

Shorrick_Mk2 wrote:

except on ski weekends, when you can watch the bottleneck from the (relative) comfort of the SBB :-)

That is the beauty of being a shift worker :) I have never yet had to drive in such conditions. And Monday to Friday most roads to resorts are refreshingly empty apart from lovely mid week tarifs at the hotels.

My ride through Davos in September will string together several passes in one day, and will be nothing but pure pleasure! That will be a full day starting in Tiefencastel and almost never on a straight road.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 20 Jul 14:24

A real aviator don’t buy planes, he either builds them himself, restore and old open cockpit double decker, or fly an aircraft paid by the government I read in the british magazine called “Pilot Magazine” years ago (mid 90’s it must have been) a rather funny and amusing article of Pilots vs Aviators. I have tried in vain to search for an online version, because it’s really worth a read.

A pilot on the other hand, would purchase an airplane, a Cirrus type preferably, or fly an aircraft paid by an airline company.

Although a funny kind of article, the underlying truth is the different motivations to fly in the first place. Today, in private GA, I think the “pilot type” has a very difficult life, bogged down by bureaucracy and expenses. There are fewer and fewer around. The flip side is that the current situation is caused by the underlying “pilot mentality” itself. The “aviator type” actually has a good life today (In Norway/Scandinavia at least, the UK also after what I have seen). Lots of opportunities with experimentals, microlights and vintage Annex II.

Anyway, the title of this thread is all wrong IMO. A real aviator don’t really care about who owns the plane, and neither does a real pilot. The “ultimate dream” for both is to fly the most exotic thing they can get their hands on, whatever that may be If someone else will pay for it, is just a bonus.

Last Edited by LeSving at 21 Jul 07:54
The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
Sign in to add your message