Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

And you STILL want to remove that vacuum (or electric) horizon??

chflyer wrote:

NCYankee, you’re able to keep the Stec 901 GPSS because you’ve also kept the Stec a/p, correct?

Yes, it works for my installation because there is no ADAHS data needed by the Stec 60-2. It needs the altitude sensor, the turn coordinator, Nav signals, and heading error signals. The 901 interfaces to the heading error signal input on the Stec autopilots.

KUZA, United States

@NCYankee, you’re able to keep the Stec 901 GPSS because you’ve also kept the Stec a/p, correct? I currently have an Stec 30 with 901 GPSS and a G5 AI plus Sandel SN3500. I’m considering upgrading the Stec 30 to a GFC500 to get a full a/p but my understanding is the the G5 and GFC500 are tightly integrated so the GPSS will need to come from the G5 and the Stec GPSS can no longer be used. Any thoughts on that?

LSZK, Switzerland

NCYankee wrote:

Here is my current panel.

That is a dream panel, load of space and no shortage of real estate in Bonnies

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I am not planning on going to the G500TXi integrated engine instruments. I sold my Rolex GMT Master to fund the updates and that is above my budget. I was lucky in that the GTN 750 update to the GTN 750xi made me money as I was able to sell my old unit for more than what it cost to replace it. I could probably do the same for the G500TXi upgrade, but right now I can’t get the replacement panel until August and it will depend on what the supply constraints are at that time.

KUZA, United States

@NCYankee, are you planning to keep the existing engine monitor & FF meter? Or are you planning to replace them with 500txi-integrated monitoring?

EGTR

Ibra wrote:

What navigator you have?

Is this the reason why you kept STEC GPSS streering adaptor (G5 HSI can be selected to provide own GPSS steering signal but with an extra NAV/HDG flags), clumsy to have the same things duplicated but it sounds “fail safe”

I have a GTN 750xi. I also have a G500TXi PFD which has GPSS function. The G5 backup AI also has GPSS function, but I did not have it hooked up. I kept my existing Stec 901 GPSS system and it is connected after the G500 so that if the G500 fails, I can still provide guidance to the autopilot.. I don’t use the G500 GPSS function as it is simpler to use the Stec 901 (just push one annunciator GPSS-HDG push button to toggle it on and off) and the 901 is always available even if the G500 is not. Also, the GPSS capability in the G500 requires that I have GPS selected as the CDI, which blocks displaying raw CDI data from an ILS or VOR and simultaneously using the GPS to guide the autopilot via GPSS. My Stec 901 does not have that limitation. So I don’t consider it clumsy, just the opposite, easier to use, annunciator right in front of me, and it is a backup if the entire G500 fails, otherwise I could not use heading mode or Nav mode if they all just came through the G500.

Here is my current panel. I am planning on replacing the G500TXi 7P panel with the G500TXi 10 inch panel. I should have done that in the first instance, but was too cheap. I wanted to update the panel next month, but the Garmin delivery date for the replacement panel is not until August.

These show the panel from left to right.

And this is a picture of the CAD of what the August panel will morph to:

I am replacing the WX1000+ with a WX500 to make room for the larger G500TXi and the new single part panel will replace the no longer floating panel and the rest of the instrument panel to the left of the radio stack with a single piece of aluminum. I kept my trusty KNS80 so I have RNAV, VOR, DME, and ILS capability, even if the GPS is jammed by the Russians or Chinese.

Edit, more on topic, the G5 has a backup battery and I also have a B&C backup alternator in the event the main voltage regulator or alternator fails. With 20 amps of power, I can power all my flight instruments, the GPS, and transponder. I also have dual data link capability with a GDL69A XM system and a GDL88 ADS-B Out/In system.

Last Edited by NCYankee at 25 Feb 14:12
KUZA, United States

Title changed to add “or electric”

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

172driver wrote:

Give me a red X over the screen any day over a slowly dying vac AI.

Absolutely!

It is, however, important to keep in mind that even electronic AIs sometimes fail w/o indication. I once had a defective MidContinent SAM that was slowly tilting left in longer descents…

Germany

What navigator you have?

Is this the reason why you kept STEC GPSS streering adaptor (G5 HSI can be selected to provide own GPSS steering signal but with an extra NAV/HDG flags), clumsy to have the same things duplicated but it sounds “fail safe”

Last Edited by Ibra at 24 Feb 22:40
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

In my case with an Stec 60-2 and Stec 901 GPSS, I can turn off both the G5 and pull the CB on the G500Txi and still fly a GPS route and approach, but not the vertical.

KUZA, United States
29 Posts
Sign in to add your message