Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Any chance of getting a flying job in GA world?

Added a listing in Classifieds section… :) What do you think?

what_next wrote:

If this is not an option, one should at least go back to the flying school and book a couple of sessions on the FNPT and hand-fly single-engine non-precision approaches and holdings until one’s arms and legs start hurting!

And brain!

Oxford and Bidford

Peter wrote:

Only a few % of candidates fly really well on the check, however.

You need to prepare yourself for those simulator screenings really well. Ideally one books a couple of hours on a simulator of the type they do the test with. That’s difficult and costly but it gives you some advantage over the other candidates. If this is not an option, one should at least go back to the flying school and book a couple of sessions on the FNPT and hand-fly single-engine non-precision approaches and holdings until one’s arms and legs start hurting!

EDDS - Stuttgart

What I hear from colleagues is that you get a sim check at the interview and if you fly really well on that, you get shortlisted for the job.

Only a few % of candidates fly really well on the check, however.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

LeSving wrote:

I mentioned Norwegian (NAS) in another thread pissing passengers off big time with lots of cancellations lately.

That serves them well. They are notorious for having one of the worst pay-to-fly schemes of all airlines worldwide. They seem to be eager to produce more income from their flight crews than from their passengers…

That said, I don’t see such a big increase in demand by airlines as others have written here. Last winter and spring four of my colleagues left for the airlines, something which hasn’t happened for a few years. Two were experienced captains (who now look forward to four or five years in the right hand seat at 2/3 of the pay they had with us – but this is what they wanted…), one an experienced FO and the other a medium-experienced FO. But this is it. I know that quite a few others (some of which are real god pilots) keep filing applications, but apart from those pay-to-fly outfits no decent company seems to be hiring any more. And one must be really, really desperate to sign a p2f contract.

EDDS - Stuttgart

Bathman wrote:

Just to back up what RoberL18C and Finners are stating the market really moving at the moment.

That seems to be true. I mentioned Norwegian (NAS) in another thread pissing passengers off big time with lots of cancellations lately. It turns out this is due to pilot and cabin crew shortage. They are now hiring 50 new pilots in Scandinavia, and this is just as a start.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I think its cyclic go back to about 1987 and it was jobs galore. I remember airlines walking into my local flying school and taking on 80 PPL holders!

Come early 1990’s it was dire but by 1998 it was boom again. The last downturn was about 2007 and it’s now very much on the up.

Having said that even in the toughs there was still instructor to airline movement (despite what the integrated marketing machine would tell you)

What is the reason for this sudden change?

For all the years I remember this was not the case. Sure, very good people got jobs fast, both airline and bizjet. But the other 90% waited for years.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Just to back up what RoberL18C and Finners are stating the market really moving at the moment.

The largest flying school near me has recently been unable to fill an instructor position (due numerous FI moving to airlines). Then the local Flight Instructor School had a candate you passed on the Saturday was givern a temporay certifcate. He then started on the monday and logged 80 hours in the first month.

Right now there is an add for TBM850 pilot in Luxembourg for some reason advertised on Polish pages… 2000 hours required… How many are usually required to act as PIC on TBM850?

@Turbavykas – There is one very big factor in flying something like a TBM. Insurance. I doubt any insurer is going to let a rookie with no experience on type just go flying a TBM or anything else – frozen ATPL or not. I suspect this is all the more difficult to overcome in a single-pilot operation. I’m not saying it’s impossible, it’s just not easy. Type Rating + 50/100 hours on type would not be unusual, I think.

I believe one airline has had to discontinue operations due to pilot shortage.

@RobertL18C – There is a large European carrier that has a number of aircraft hugely under-utilised this summer due to a shortage of crew to fly them. I led to believe that the problem will get worse before it gets better. There is a shortage of airline pilots in Europe right now. One needs to be totally flexible in regard to location and it helps if you can fund a Type Rating – though there seems to be some flexibility appearing on this, which is a sure indicator that the airlines are becoming desperate. There are definitely jobs out there.

EGTT, The London FIR
20 Posts
Sign in to add your message