Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Any ideas

Would any of you IT gurus have any idea why I cant get Euroga.org to download on my Nokia 925 windows phone. It is the only website I have this problem with. It gets to about 80% of the download and then just stops? Too big a website do you think?

Ta in advance.

Always looking for adventure
Shoreham

Interesting. I started using a windows phone (Nokia 820) two days ago. I just tried EuroGA.org on it too, and likewise the progress bar almost completes, but nothing loads.

Looks like something with EuroGA isn't liked by windows phone.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

are there alternative browsers for windows phone like there is firefox for Android ? Maybe that might be a workaround.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

There should be a way to do a screenshot on a WP phone, or just take a photo of it, and email it to me.

Does the forum load at all, or is ot some feature (e.g. the preview) which doesn't work?

I should add that if you go to the base page i.e. euroga.org then the browser loads the entire slide show which is about 3MB. If you are on a slow data connection, this can take time, but it will be cached so it needs to happen once only. And then you can use a different URL for the forum only, if you like.

For example, in the UK, GPRS (which is what we have over ~ 90% of the countryside away from major roads) is about 0.002 MB/sec, 3G is about 0.03 MB/sec, 3G with HSPA is about 0.3MB/sec.

I suggest trying it on your home WIFI, arriving over ADSL. It should load in about 10 seconds.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

There is nothing to show in a screenshot. It's just a blank screen with a (standard) WP8 progress bar that makes it's way across to 90% complete. But nothing ever shows on the website.

It's not as if the text is shown without photos; it remains a blank white page.

I'm connected to my 30mb home wifi connection and left it for a few minutes, but still nothing happens.

I tried it with a test device from the Nokia developer forum and it does the same thing.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Interesting.

I have tested this on Windows Mobile and I can recreate the problem. I think I know what's causing it but I can't be 100% certain because the Windows Mobile debugging tools take a bit of setting up and to be honest I don't have the time to dig in to it right now.

This site uses various externally-written bits of code (Gems, which are packaged up chunks of Ruby code, for those that care). One of them, and I don't know which one, is causing the server not to set the correct Content-type header in the HTTP response. The solution is to update to a newer version of the offending code. We run other sites which have the newer version and they all load correctly. So clearly the solution is to update EuroGA to the newest version. I do have plans to do that, but not immediately. There are quite a few "under the hood" changes (and a few functional changes too) so it's not a quick job to do the update.

Out of interest, on sites we run where Windows Mobile does work we see between 0.4% and 0.8% of visits from these devices. I am afraid that from a practical point of view, and certainly from a commercial one (not that EuroGA is commercial), that does mean that users of these devices are less likely to get optimal levels of support when there are problems. Personally I think ubiquity of a device is quite an important factor when choosing what to buy for this very reason.

Administrator
EGTR / London, United Kingdom

Hi David,

All understood.

But just for the sake of clarity the devices that Bloomer & I reported on are Windows Phone 8 devices not Windows Mobile. WM is a very old system.

I've plenty of alternatives for accessing the site, so it's no issue for me.

Colm

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Out of interest, on sites we run where Windows Mobile does work we see between 0.4% and 0.8% of visits from these devices. I am afraid that from a practical point of view, and certainly from a commercial one (not that EuroGA is commercial), that does mean that users of these devices are less likely to get optimal levels of support when there are problems.

Having spent most most of my career fighting Microsoft and its stronghold on the IT industry, you can't imagine how I enjoy reading such statements. I've always been on that other side, the 0.4%-0.8% that are not relevant...

I own a superb Symbian phone (808) which is probably way under those levels now...

Fortunately it works on EuroGA ok, both using the crappy native browser and Opera Mobile.

Maybe Opera do a browser for WP? It is the way with most mobile clients (that have decent functionality) that multiple browsers need to be installed!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks everyone for the comments and feedback. Good to know it is not me being a numpty. I shall find a way to get it loaded. I like to read the forums when I am sat waiting for public transport to arrive or leave. :-)

Always looking for adventure
Shoreham
19 Posts
Sign in to add your message