Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Are we still allowed to access our aircraft?

It is the main reason why Handling is compulsory at airports with security areas.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Now a real progress would be an EU wide mutually accepted airport ID card, but I can see why that cannot happen because it would lower the screening standards to the most corrupt and cheapest country, making it very easy to circumvent for the “bad guys”.

Last Edited by Rwy20 at 03 Feb 09:16

Why would you as a private pilot (on your way to your private plane) need access to the security area, where screened passengers for departure are ? Airside access is regulated separated.

You are thinking about big airports. At least at my home airfield large parts of the apron have been defined as security areas and therefore the airport requires an airport card from every local pilot – who never enters a terminal building (which is very basic here and only used for corporate traffic).
Even the members of the glider club on the other side of the airport need one …

That means an LBA approved 11.2.6 course (not free of course) with certificate every 5 years. As they have implemented it here I think there is a good chance that they did it at other places, too.

From what I understood from this regulation is that they completely forgot to implement a private pilot use case.
There might be a different one which covers that and I would be very happy if someone could refer to it.

Concerning EU – even if not talking about content it is nearly impossible to stay ahead of what they are doing as there is no visible, clear understandable and sustainable structure as for example the FARs

Last Edited by Sir_Percy at 03 Feb 10:48

what airport is that ?

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

EDVE

Sir_Percy wrote:

Interestingly they don‘t mention a pilots license.

Usually, the handling agent — or airport management — issue you a boarding card based on you presenting a pilot’s license and having an aircraft on the ramp.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

(d) a valid national appropriate authority identification card; or

So, why not just use your regular ID?

EFHF

there is no gap in the regulation. They either gib you a temp boarding card or they just check you through when you present your pilots license. Normally, you have landed there before so you’re in the system. I don’t see the problem.

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

ToniK wrote:

(d) a valid national appropriate authority identification card; or

So, why not just use your regular ID?

Because it is not issued by the “appropriate authority”, which is a term from ICAO Annex 17 which refers to the Aviation Security Authority (ASA) that has to be designated by each contracting state. A bit similar to the “competent authority”, which is the national CAA, but you need to know it because no-one could have guessed that this is what is meant by “competent authority” .

It would be nonsensical if any and every national ID card would give access to the secure areas of airports, don’t you think?

What seems to be the real issue here is the stance of some airports to define what their “security restricted areas” are, and they seem to err (big time) on the safe side by saying that the whole airport is “security restricted”.

Last Edited by Rwy20 at 03 Feb 18:42

just check you through when you present your pilots license

I know that is what they are fortunetly doing – the rules just don‘t cover that …

It also defines what the restricted areas are … especially part (c)

1.1.2 Security restricted areas
1.1.2.1 Security restricted areas shall include at least the following:
(a) a part of an airport to which screened departing passengers have access; and
(b) a part of an airport through which screened departing hold baggage may pass or in which it may be held, unless it concerns secured baggage; and
(c) a part of an airport designated for the parking of aircraft to be boarded or loaded.
1.1.2.2 A part of an airport shall be regarded as a security restricted area at least for the period of time that the activities referred to in point 1.1.2.1 are taking place.

Does anybody know what the exact definition of an airport is in this context?

Last Edited by Sir_Percy at 03 Feb 20:50
Sign in to add your message