Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Are we still allowed to access our aircraft?

BeechBaby wrote:

Blackpool Airport. Two doors to get to security

When did this happen? I’ve never had an issue getting onto or off the apron at Blackpool. I hope this is not some new thing they are enforcing, given they don’t even have (nor are planning to get) airline service.

Last Edited by alioth at 11 Dec 15:35
Andreas IOM

alioth wrote:

When did this happen?

In fairness a few years ago when they operated as a proper airport

Also the female who dealt with the landing fee payment was lovely..

Last Edited by BeechBaby at 11 Dec 16:55
Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

I had no security problems at Blackpool a couple of months ago.

Egnm, United Kingdom

flybymike wrote:

I had no security problems at Blackpool a couple of months ago.

That probably because it is no longer a proper airport……..

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

Also the female who dealt with the landing fee payment was lovely..

In that case, that makes all the difference, so you need to make due allowance, and it sounds like you did

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The problem may be a rank above the people you meet. They have poor job security, and would rather annoy you than risk breaking one of the “rules” mentioned in their training course or recurrent video. “Rules” as they perceive them to be.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

At Dublin several weeks ago: My Pilot License and ID was not enough. I needed a crew card. A plastic card with my photo and the word CREW. Nothing doing.
So the handling agent made a manifest with my name on it. It worked! (But I was charged for security for one passenger).
People who do a stupid job don’t do it for long unless the job matches their skills.

Last Edited by Piotr_Szut at 11 Dec 20:57
Paris, France

Piotr_Szut wrote:

A plastic card with my photo and the word CREW.

Aha — so that’s why PPL/IR Europe membership cards have a photo and the words “AIR CREW”!

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

That one is very old (I used to get it when I was a member) but I doubt that it has worked for many years now (in Europe). Also the name on it was the name you used in their forum, which prevented one writing up or discussing any interesting experiences

Airport security has got wise to all these tricks. Even airline pilots have to pass security. Maintenance staff is the most recently identified “weak link” in the system, unsurprisingly as many of them are from “interesting” countries and closely resemble “interesting” people

This is what I carry, and it is useless

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

In Oz pretty much every pilot is issued with a pilot crew card by the licensing authority. They are required and universal at the larger airports, of course no one cares at the strips and in any event there is usually only the odd roo around to check it anyway. In FAA land of course you are required to carry photo ID to validate your crew licence. I am surprised we havent moved in a similar direction, and think the Australians have the best system on this one.

Sign in to add your message