Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Arrow Gear overhaul

I am not bashing anyone. Just writing what I find to be the case.

If some firm is able to replace the bushes then please post their name and a lot of people reading EuroGA will benefit.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Basically replacing bushes in the gear links may be a traditional job but to do it properly you´d want to have decent adjustable reamers for line reaming two corresponding bushes. Mechanics who do motorbike girder forks with their bushes will be able to tell you what´s involved to get a result that lasts. No problem to show up with “overhauled” units with obvious minimal play but you will find out later about the quality of the job when wear sets in after few hours of use because the bearing finish and concentricity between bushes was very poor for lack of proper tooling. While these reamers are still available new at prices in excess of € 180.- each I would not expect to find many of these in aviation maintenance companies, so all sorts of bodges made instead. I use these types of reamers where applicable, like “line” reaming the receiving bore for valve guides to keep concentricity to the valve seats in order to minimizing the final valve seat machining . Vic

vic
EDME

Vic, great stuff. You can do my R100 heads when they need it…

Silvaire wrote:

Aircraft maintenance ‘regulations’ (in any number of forms, created over decades) commonly end up being ambiguous, because when written they weren’t actually intended to be so strictly enforced or to eliminate the necessary judgement of individual certificated mechanics.

Unless they were written with airlines and rather big jets in mind in an environment that trusts organisations and paperwork, not judgement of individuals.

vic wrote:

No problem to show up with “overhauled” units with obvious minimal play but you will find out later about the quality of the job when wear sets in after few hours of use because the bearing finish and concentricity between bushes was very poor for lack of proper tooling. While these reamers are still available new at prices in excess of € 180.- each I would not expect to find many of these in aviation maintenance companies, so all sorts of bodges made instead.

I think you would be wrong here, mechanical aircraft workshops will have a large selection of reamers for this sort of work.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ
Jesse,

I do hope you were right about suitable reamers in workshops. I would not be so sure that is the case widely. I am very specific about reamers that have to have uneven angle spacing between cutters so they don´t chatter . One brand is this set:
reamer set
Silvaire,
you are welcome to send your R 100 heads for overhaul – though this is almost “modern” stuff to me.
Vic

vic
EDME
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message