Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ATC referring to airway names (and airspace discussion)

Peter wrote:

But the military guards it tightly because they know if they stop guarding it they will lose it.

Well, the Swedish case shows this is not true.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Peter wrote:

But the military guards it tightly because they know if they stop guarding it they will lose it.

That’s not case in Croatia. Military zones are forbiden only when really active (flying and/or shooting) and even then ATC coordinates this very tightly enabling traffic immediately when zone is not atcive any more. And btw whole this mess happens very rarely

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Almost the exact same applies for Belgium, at least for the lower airspace that I frequent. It is quite normal for a pilot, immediately after departure, to contact the FIS (“Brussels Information”), and, after the initial exchange of information, inquire “is EBBL active?” (or another military field). In the weekends, the answer may well be “the military are not active” which means not a single military bit of airspace is active, and all those areas ominously marked on the maps can be freely used.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

A quick PIREP on the original topic here: Belgian and German ATC recently (and for the first time ever) changed my filed and cleared IFR routing while I was enroute and told me the new route/clearance only by refering to the airway names and interstections; the controller kindly offered to give me the waypoints on the airways, but I have pulled my 6-month-old Jeppessen IFR chart and did not have to accept that kind offer. I will keep buying and carrying those charts, albeit not in the monthly cycle.

CenturionFlyer
LKLT

I’ve also gotten “join T125” in Switzerland recently. The airway names can be selected in my FMS based on a waypoint that is part of the airway.

Frequent travels around Europe
65 Posts
Sign in to add your message