Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Auster Aiglet as a display aircraft

Neil wrote:

Twice the steel strength of a PA18 is a new one on me, but the Auster is definitely 4 x more difficult to land

Only if you try to land too fast :-) At the right speed the tendency to bounce is much reduced (also, the Auster lands noticeably more easily on a grass airfield).

Andreas IOM

Ultranomad wrote:

Adapting it to a Lycoming would take quite a bit of effort.

Not that much effort. The fuselage looks identical to the Autocrat, and our Autocrat has a Lycoming on it. The Beagle Husky is closely related and came new with a Lycoming (essentially, our aircraft has been retrofitted to the specification of the Husky). The Autocrat has been fitted with up to an O-360 in the past (in the late nineties, mine was going to get an O-360, but due to engine unavailability ended up with an O-320).

Andreas IOM

It was known as the steel airplane, with 44 ton steel strength against the 22 ton variety. This is from the IAC history.

http://austerhg.org/books/auster_story.pdf

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Twice the steel strength of a PA18 is a new one on me, but the Auster is definitely 4 x more difficult to land

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Was not able to find any vintage footage of an Aiglet been put through its paces, but this was a tidy video of an Autocrat. Built with twice the steel strength of the Super Cub they took the Artillery Observer role to a new level.

Adapting it to a Lycoming would take quite a bit of effort. A straight-four Walter/Avia M332 might be a much easier exercise (or maybe even a six-cylinder M137 for extra power, it’s only 9 cm longer than Gipsy Major).

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Occasionally I wonder why this fine clipped wing aerobatic aircraft is not seen on the display circuit. It famously introduced the Porteous loop, today known as the Avalanche, although I prefer the original term as it links back to Mr Porteous who introduced the maneuovre as part of his Auster marketing display.

With a shortage of high energy aircraft on the display circuit, perhaps there is an opening for old school barnstorming displays from old timers.

An Aiglet would make a nice five minute routine, presumably starting from 3,000 feet. Fitted with a Lycoming and CS and inverted system it might even be quite exhilarating.

There is at least one pristine version tucked away in a secret barn, and a few versions in various states of airworthiness and a lot of historical patina (ie original paint and fabric).

8 Posts
Sign in to add your message