Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aviation Religions

After reflecting on threads which became a bit, ummm, negative in tone, it looks like that, beyond politics, there are a few religions in aviation…

So I tried to identify, a bit tongue-in-cheek, some of the biggest religious schisms…

• Monoengineists vs. Polyengineists
  • Parachu-theists vs. Parachu-atheists
  • Catholic Certificationists loyal to the Pope, umm, EASA, vs. Protestant Homebuilders
  • Those who believe in the literal truth of the scripture as handed down by the EASA, and those who see them as mere guidelines

Any other suggestions?

[for the avoidance of doubt: ]

Last Edited by Cobalt at 02 Jan 12:04
Biggin Hill

What about those that see (VFR) as opposed to those who have seen the light (IR rated)…..

EDL*, Germany

Cobalt deep in the Dead Sea scrolls there is evidence of heated disputes between the tail draggers and nose dragger tribes. In those distant times the tail draggers were sometimes assisted by those who subscribed to bi-planeism, their priests took it to a higher level and worshipped tri-planeism, but eventually there was a schism when a significant portion of taildraggers converted to monoplaneism.

Amongst the aerobatic community the debate between bi-planeism and mono continues unabated.

When the jet arrived a new scientology emerged ‘if it’s not Boeing I ain’t going’.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Turbo vs. Non-Turbo

EDLE

Some of the biggest fault lines run along these:

• Powered flyers vs. those preferring permanent engine failure (i.e. gliders)
  • Ultralight-headed pilots vs. those who prefer being able to carry fuel and a passenger legally

On a serious note, these divisions are in my opinion one of the worst factors for general aviation as a whole. If we were able to speak with one voice more often, we couldn’t be divided-and-conquered, be it in airfield politics, noise discussions or airspace debates.

Last Edited by Rwy20 at 02 Jan 12:34
  • Electristians vs. Fossilists ?

Helico-centrics ?

What about Glassiulonists and the believers of the 6?

And I’d like to second @Rwy20, because the reason why people are flying is often the same, the way they do it differently depends on a lot of secondary factors.

Last Edited by TobiBS at 02 Jan 15:21
P19 EDFE EDVE EDDS

High Wingists vs Low Wingists?

Bernoulli Suckers vs Newton Pushers?
Kickers vs The Wing-Down People?

EGKB Biggin Hill
53 Posts
Sign in to add your message