Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Avionics upgrade - is this price reasonable?

I have firmly determined to give my plane a upgrade.
A new NAV GTN 650xi,
a new AP GFC 500
and new Indicators Dual GL275 left and G5 on the right side.
I got a offer of 100€ incl. I was wondering is this normal,
or is it a sign of disinterest?

Berlin, Germany

Your list converts to about 40-50k in avionics plus cleaning up the wiring plus labor and a quote of 100k sounds as if the shop knows the specific airplane … I’d say quite normal and even realistic price quote given current hourly wages and shop loads, if the aircrafts avionics hasn’t been cleaned already during the last 5-10 years.

Last Edited by MichaLSA at 30 Jan 15:52
Germany

What are the hourly rates in Germany?

Over here this would equate to about 400 hours labor. Sounds a bit high.

Last Edited by 172driver at 30 Jan 16:04

The better avionics shops charge about 120€ +VAT, so let’s call it 140.

Impossible to say if the total is too high, not knowing what exactly has to be done.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Given the rule of thumb that the labour cost is approximately the same as the avionics cost it probably is within the expected ballpark.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

The hardware you have specified can be obtained in European shops for €35k new, VAT included, plus a bit extra for wiring and hardware. You may be able to save on VAT by buying everything outside the EU and bringing it in a suitcase.
Labour costs will depend on the current status of your aircraft, but €65k (or even €40k) for labour seems very high in any event. If the existing installation needs only a minimal revision, installing all of the above will take some 160-180 hours. If your aircraft is on the approved model list of the relevant STCs, the engineering work shouldn’t take more than 50 hours. What type is your aircraft?
An hourly rate of €100-120 is OK for a maintenance organisation, but if you operate your aicraft non-commercially, the work can be done by a freelancer such as yours truly for a significantly lower price.

Last Edited by Ultranomad at 30 Jan 16:32
LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

This plane got an upgrade 15 years ago. New engine, GNS 530 and Sandel 3308 etc. it was ready for IFR.
It that the new way into future? 4 new devices are worth more than the entire aircraft.
I got different offers too, 30-40T€ cheaper.

Berlin, Germany

If you have a GNS 530, are you sure you want to replace it with a GTN 650 Xi? It’s obviously a matter of taste, but Avidyne IFD540 is a direct replacement for GNS 530 (it plugs into the same rack: take one out, put the other in), and, in my opinion, has a nicer user interface. By the way, why do you want GI 275 on the left but G5 on the right? Doesn’t seem very logical to me.
Your aircraft is a TB20, right?

Last Edited by Ultranomad at 30 Jan 16:52
LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Agree with @Ultranomad here. The 650 interface is, ahem, an acquired taste. Personally, I also hate touchscreens in light aircraft. Of course, your plane, your choice. Having overseen a few avionics upgrades in our club fleet, the cheaper quotes you mention sound more realistic to me.

Yes, I know the IFD 540 is plug and play, but I like the big display of my GNS 530. Unhappily non WAAS.
I decided for both units because I need LPV. Everything what is unnecessary will be removed and replaced
by GL275 and G5, that’s my plan. TB 20 N-reg. I’m open if there are better solutions.

Berlin, Germany
35 Posts
Sign in to add your message