Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

'Backcountry' aviation in Europe - possible?

>>>bit wilder than Hyde Park

LOL, you made my day ;)

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

LeSving wrote:

Was on the way to Vinnu today in the Cub

That looks like a great place to do some flying. Is the Cub at your flying club available for rental by non-members? I’ve been thinking about a Norway trip for a while, buts it’s a bit too far from the UK to fly up there at 85kts…

Hi TJ,

I asked a very similar question in March. You might find the answers there useful.

Remote Airstrips in Europe

The weekend before last I flew to Colonsay in Scotland with a friend of mine and his son.
Colonsay is a small island (15sq miles) off the west coast. We did some hiking and overnight wild camping. Not sure about fishing, unless you wanted to do some sea fishing from the shore.

The population is only 124, but you will still see people around. None the less, it does achieve some of the adventure spirit in those backcountry youtube videos if you’re up for some camping.

Colm

EIWT Weston, Ireland

dnj wrote:

Is the Cub at your flying club available for rental by non-members?

Not for non-members, but anyone can become a member

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Some kind of short term membership would be fine. Can you send details please?

Here is a list of some(perhaps most) regular strips in Scandinavia. Some of them are perhaps not useable anymore and some of them should probably be pure bush strips.
Airfields in Scandinavia

Not in English unfortunately.

Last Edited by Fly310 at 29 May 13:45
ESSZ, Sweden

dnj wrote:

Some kind of short term membership would be fine. Can you send details please?

There really are no shortcuts in that respect. Værnes Flyklubb is a non profit organisation, a “club” under NLF. We are based on people doing voluntary work, and everybody has to pay what it takes to fly (and preferably participate in some way to keep the club going). You also have to be a member of NLF (insurance reasons etc), but this is automatic (I think) when you become a member. Anyway, I have sent you a PM with the email to the current leader, he will know these things much better than me, I’m just making sure the accounting is properly done in the club for the time being. I do think you will find that membership combined with the hour cost is very reasonable though.

And by the way, back country. We have two airports now. ENVA (an international airport with all the good and bad that follows where our club is placed), and since last year we are also the operator of Øyan in Meråker. Øyan is a mountain grass strip some 30 minute flight from ENVA, close to the Swedish border. It’s private, the owner lives on the airport. The landing procedure include taking a low pass to scare off reindeer, moose and eventual other animals that likes to graze there I’m not kidding, there are lots of reindeer in that area. Free to use as much as we want as members (as is all Avinor commercial airports btw). Vinnu is also free to use by the way, for everyone.

I took this picture last weekend at Øyan. The first trip this year after the snow was gone. Tomorrow evening we are taking all the planes up there to shine the strip up a bit.

[edit] That link by Fly310 includes youtube videos. Here is the one from Øyan

Last Edited by LeSving at 29 May 16:58
The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

There is quite an extensive “Farm Strip” culture in the UK. Some are in the guides, some not.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Some gliding clubs might allow you to drop in. You’d have to phone ahead though I think.

It's not rocket science!

Welcome to Finland: https://lentopaikat.fi/en/

Strongly suggest calling the contact person (if listed) in advance, especially in winter conditions. Half a meter of snow on runway may come as a surprise.

EDIT: “Light Airfields” are formally allowed for operations by ultralights only.

Last Edited by ToniK at 30 May 10:46
EFHF
Sign in to add your message