Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

'Backcountry' aviation in Europe - possible?

http://www.info-pilote.fr/Notre-Dame-de-la-Salette-depuis-l-Alpe_a1742.html

Check this video in full screen ! Awesome pictures from some mountains pilots !
Add a couple of drinks and friends, it is backcountry aviation !
It can be done, but with a different set of rules and we often don’t realise what we can do within those rules.

LFOU, France

Oddly enough I have a 2005 “Italian Touring Guide” here. No idea if it is any good.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

TJ wrote:

But it sounds as though finding a ‘how to fly VFR in Italy’ would be a good start :)

There is one, but unfortunately it is only in German. You could still try to see how legible it is by running some of it through the Google translator:
Flying in Italy

Another good source is Avioportolano, but the web site is only in Italian. There is an English version of the book though, that can be ordered from the web site and is also available through most map handlers. This is a real eye-opener if you’ve never investigated all the aviosuperfici: Avioportolano Avioportolano web shop

There is also a flight guide for Italy in English, which has a wealth of information. It can also be purchased on the Avioportolano web site or from many map handlers, but it is also available free as an iOS ebook: Aerotouring Flight Guide Italy

LSZK, Switzerland

LeSving wrote:

What exactly does this mountain rating consist of? I fly in the mountains all the time, and I just can’t understand you need any other “rating” than short field experience. Very high altitude airports could be a factor to be aware of, but those strips are few and far apart (non existent in Norway).

The mountain rating is not about flying in mountains as such, but using “unusual” airports and strips, like Courchevel. Anyway it is very easy to find out what it consists of by reading part-FCL:

FCL.815 Mountain rating
(a) Privileges. The privileges of the holder of a mountain rating are to conduct flights with aeroplanes or TMG to and from surfaces designated as requiring such a rating by the appropriate authorities designated by the Member States

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I think it varies from place to place and wheels or skis. It seems to require at least 15 hours of dual with a qualified instructor. You will see airfields in France that are only authorised for use by pilots with the qualification montagne. There are some places where you need a special authorisation. I obtained one for Itxassou (LFIX) in the Pyrenees, but it was only valid for six months and I let it drop. The danger there was severe turbulence with winds from the South, otherwise it was fairly easy.
Simon

simon32 wrote:

he problem is that you are required or advised to have a mountain rating to use many of them in the Alps and Pyrenees

What exactly does this mountain rating consist of? I fly in the mountains all the time, and I just can’t understand you need any other “rating” than short field experience. Very high altitude airports could be a factor to be aware of, but those strips are few and far apart (non existent in Norway).

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

There are plenty of places in France for backcountry flying. The problem is that you are required or advised to have a mountain rating to use many of them in the Alps and Pyrenees. This is good sense as there are dangers that flatlanders may not be aware of. The first time I went to a tricky strip in the Pyrenees with a mountain pilot he flew low over the strip to set the altimeter as he said you need to establish a proper glide from this set point as it is hard to judge heights and perspectives in mountineous areas. The other surprise on landing was the application of full power to get up the slope. It was a strip with no possibility of go-round so you needed to get it right first time.
A little video on a remote strip in a plane named after the mythical four-legged animal (Dahu) that lives in the Pyrenees. It has longer legs on one side to cope with the slopes.

Simon

Flying in the UK you can fly over dozens of airstrips that are unlisted in any guide or GPS update. Lockyears guide only covered a fraction of them. Most of them would be very slow to let visitors in, and in ways I can’t say I blame them. I had to overcome a lot of reluctant strip owners who didn’t want to be listed in my Irish flight guide. There were easily 40 whom wanted to be excluded. I had discussions with Tom Moloney of Transair about making a similar photo based guide for the UK under their brand. It seemed pointless to me as it was going to be so incomplete. I spoke to one strip owner in Hampshire who was in the Air Squadron, they had 5 strips in a tight radius of theirs unlisted anywhere.

Scotland and the West of Ireland are the closest to bush flying that are accessible to me. My attitude to risk has changed a bit over the years, and I know don’t have the same desire to repeat any past bush flying ventures.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

According to one Italian pilot I know, flying in Italy starts with switching off your transponder

This is not completely unrelated

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks for all the information – I can now spend many hours planning something :)

@dublinpilot – your trip to Colonsay looked to be great fun and in beautiful weather. Sorry, I missed your earlier thread but that has lots of good detail in it too.

Have to say I was surprised at the mention of Italy as a ‘backcountry’ destination. I’ve never flown in Italy, as have always been put off by the apparent complexity of doing so. But it sounds as though finding a ‘how to fly VFR in Italy’ would be a good start :)

TJ
Cambridge EGSC
41 Posts
Sign in to add your message