Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Barcelona El-Prat LEBL prohibits SET

I’ve realised having flown in to 3 or 4 busy international airports in the last 6 months, is you can be accommodated safely. If you know what you are doing helps and keeping the speed up as long as it doesn’t impact the safety of your own aircraft.

I did see this in the AIP last week, as I was curious. Let’s hope, PMI, IBZ and co don’t follow suit.

Qualified PPL with IR SP/SE PBN
EGSG, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

the French ban on VFR above FL115

FL115?

LIAP / LIBP, Italy

Mooney_Driver wrote:

I don’t know what “El Prat” in Spanish

It’s Catalan. It means pasture/meadow in Catalan (El prat de Llobregat would mean the Llobregat meadow, which sounds a lot more pleasant than the airport actually is).

Andreas IOM

alioth wrote:

(El prat de Llobregat would mean the Llobregat meadow, which sounds a lot more pleasant than the airport actually is).

It’s actually a very nice area, around the airport. I’m around there every once in a while with my bike. And there’s a nice spotters location close to the threshold of 07 (now 06…).

Back on topic, this is absolutely bonkers. There were always one or two PC12s on the executive apron, and I don’t believe they payed less handling fees than we do.

If this would mean getting an RNAV approach into LELL… but that won’t happen during my lifetime.

LEBL, Spain

French article on the matter.

When sub-2t GA is forbidden, nobody cares. When SETs are, it makes some noise.

LFOU, France

Jujupilote wrote:

When sub-2t GA is forbidden, nobody cares. When SETs are, it makes some noise.

It is interesting that apparently not a lot was made out of the 2017 ban of sub 2T GA. The result is of course that they got away with it once so they are confident to be able to do what they want now.

The threat I am seeing here is that this is AENA who is behind this. I am not sure if there are already any other AENA Airports which explicitly ban GA like this, but my prediction would be that there will be others who will be trying the same.

In many cases where GA is excluded from larger airports the decisions are not rational but result of a often militant hatred by the management towards GA, often enough not even rational to the extent that they can even name any rational reason why they want them banned.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message