Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

BasicMed - FAA Private Pilot Medical abolished - not useful outside the US (merged)

I don’t actually see much practical difference between this and the LAPL medical.

Is the status of the LAPL medical recorded somewhere officially, or is it a personal record held only by the pilot?

I agree that the US LSA non-medical is a much better precedent, and it’s worth noting that it will continue to build favorable statistics. I hope someday that those accumulating statistics will result in another change to FAA rules, eliminating the pointless, politically driven compromises of the new US law. Until then you can continue to fly smaller FAA certified aircraft (and others) without any medical exam under LSA Sport Pilot regs.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 21 Jul 14:57

Silvaire wrote:

Is the status of the LAPL medical recorded somewhere officially, or is it a personal record held only by the pilot?

It’s recorded like any other medical certificate, typically via an online system, but I don’t really see that as a significant difference. It may be that the technical standards differ to some extent.

Bookworm wrote:

It’s recorded like any other medical certificate, typically via an online system, but I don’t really see that as a significant difference.

It’s a significant difference, in the real world.

It may be that the technical standards differ to some extent.

What I think is going to happen in the real world is that a substantial number of FAA pilots will get their log book stored, non-recorded-otherwise medical certification from any licensed physician without any significant exam.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 23 Jul 14:13

Silvaire wrote:

What I think is going to happen in the real world is that a substantial number of FAA pilots will get their log book stored, non-recorded medical certification from any licensed physician without any significant exam.

So do you think the FAA third class medical exam is much more than verifying the pilot is still warm? Most of the disqualifying issues are not found in the exam, but in the questionnaire that the pilot fills out. I would and have passed every FAA physical exam I have ever taken. I need a special issuance because of the truthful answers to the FAA form, not at all because of what the exam finds, which is nil. I get a much better review of my health from my general practitioner.

KUZA, United States

NCYankee, I agree with you, but I also think dropping the medical exam completely, as per Sport Pilot, is the right solution. The latest charade got the law passed, for the benefit of people like you. People having no medical conditions will instead stick with our existing charade, the third class medical, which every two years makes sure I can still walk into the AMEs office and write him a check.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 23 Jul 14:25

For most US pilots who don’t fly professionally or that don’t have a need to fly outside of the US (which is most), they will take whichever course of action they deem to be easiest and the least expensive. Most medical insurance covers full physical exams with a simple doctor visit copay. Much will depend on the FAA final rule and if there are any other changes to the medical system not specifically called for in the legislation. For example, those under 40 currently only need to have a physical every 60 months, this is probably less expense than going the non medical route. Pilots older than 40 require a medical every 24 months and might consider the doctor visit less expensive. Insurance does not pay for the FAA medical.

KUZA, United States

I don’t think money is really the issue for the pilot, although obviously its the only issue for the AME. Time and hassle is the issue for the pilot. That’s why for me it’s easiest to get a 3rd class medical, as described above I can do the whole thing with a sum total of one hours attention, visiting the AME’s home office on the way home from work. The only way I’m going to beat that with the new rules is to get the log book record from a friend who also happens to be an MD.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 23 Jul 15:13

I think there are many scenarios where one system or the other (both US) will be useful.

The US medical system, with its explicit list of self grounding conditions (no EASA equivalent; essentially every page in Part MED is a direct self grounding list) creates a climate where pilots have less reason to conceal stuff.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The FAA has today issued the rule for BasicMed. It will be applicable from May 1.

Thanks for the link. The most interesting part to me is how the medical exam requirement is stated:

“A pilot flying under the BasicMed rule must (among other requirements)… Have received a comprehensive medical examination from a State-licensed physician within the previous 48 months”.

No specific mention is made of how or if this must be documented. I believe most non-AME physicians in the US would be unwilling to sign anything in relation to a patients medical fitness for avIation, for reasons of exposure to liability + nothing it it for them, and also the organization they work for forbidding them from doing it. The lack of specifics gives me hope that they might not have to sign off. If I have to visit a non-AME doctor and attempt to talk him into signing off on my fitness for flying, I’ll continue with the Third Class Medical because it will be easier and certainly faster for me, notwithstanding that I get a real medical exam/lab work etc with a real doctor more often than the FAA requires here.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 10 Jan 16:20
Sign in to add your message