Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Be careful with the fuel selector...

It was however completely accessible.

I too can’t see why they put it there – the fuel plumbing to achieve that was just silly.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

There are more of these strange issues, like on the Piper Cub, where their is a large tail on the selector, and a minor triangle to point to position, you wouldn’t be the first to see the tail as pointer. Especially for those who are unpainted.

On a Cessna, even with both selection, some have these stripes, like these:

One wouldn’t be the first to select a slightly more right than both position as the right hand tank has a bit more fuel in it, to find out it reduces power (not completely closed). These stripes are a fail as well IMHO, as they seem to suggest more positions are possible.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

The danger of the Cessna non-cantilever setup is that owner pilots tend to forget about it. You always have it on both so it is not a concern. I have to admit I once tried to take off for a test flight after maintenance, started the engine and it died. Tried to restart it, no way. Then began a whole investigation with the help of a mechanic until after some time, another mechanic pointed out that the fuel selector was on off.

You always have it on both so it is not a concern

To avoid venting high wing Cessnas (not 150/152 as it only has on or off), should be placed on right tank when parked. Also above 10,000 feet they should be run on alternate tanks, or if you are getting imbalance – not unusual due to the connecting tubes between the tanks.

Having once been caught out trying to start a 152 with the fuel off – fuel on being on the pre start checklist – I check the fuel cock before starting, after power checks and on the vital check. Making a silly mistake while safely on the ground is a blessing!

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Sure, but isn’t that completely stupid? Just because it’s a homebuilt doesn’t mean the builder is morally entitled to not engage the brain. Especially if later carrying passengers who, while not expecting a B747 level of safety, would hope to not be flying in a deathtrap with a pilot with a death wish.

Of course it is stupid, but it’s not illegal to be stupid (although the CAA may have a saying when inspecting). That lever shall normally only be operated at start and stop. In an emergency, only when engine fire and emergency landing. The one who is really stupid is the pilot flying an aircraft like that. The builder is not in a position to decide the stupidity level of future pilots.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

IMHO the Commander has the best arrangement I have seen, selector is on the centre console between the seats so easily visible, and operable, generally set to BOTH but can be set to LEFT or RIGHT to balance tanks if required and most importantly cannot be set to OFF without using two hands, One to turn the selector and one to release the safety catch.
Good design !

Flying a Commander 114B
Sleap EGCV Hawarden EGNR

Commander has the best arrangement I have seen, selector is on the centre console between the seats so easily visible, and operable

Until you go flying with your 5year old daughter and then she starts to fiddle with the funny red button without you noticing.

LSZK, Switzerland

Then its a CRM issue !

Flying a Commander 114B
Sleap EGCV Hawarden EGNR

Then its a CRM issue !

It’s always a CRM issue if the design is crap but you don’t want to admit it, isn’t it?

LSZK, Switzerland

I bet she couldn’t turn the selector while holding down the locking lever though, its hard enough for me….

When does she start her PPL

Flying a Commander 114B
Sleap EGCV Hawarden EGNR
Sign in to add your message