Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Beautiful Lancair IV-P for sale in France - IFR ?

mmgreve wrote:

The Norway bit is just from a Lancair that was based in Norway and on Swedish reg in order to be able to fly IFR, so I could be wrong.

IFR has always been allowed here, in homebuilds from any country, except for some 5-6 years when a crooked lawyer was in charge of these things at the authorities. It went all the way to court, before we got it back in 2014 (and the crooked lawyer was sacked, but that was due to some other crazy scheme he did. Quire a story actually, one homebuilder managed to “trap” him into doing something illegal). We did indeed have a situation for 5-6 years when foreign reg homebuilts could fly IRF here, but not LN-reg homebuilds.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I’ve seen this plane on numerous occasions at Cuers which is my summer base. The quality of the finish is frankly amazing – the wings and fuselage are as smooth as a baby’s skin. Last time I spoke to the owner, which was summer 2015, he was very actively flying.

EGTF, LFTF

mmgreve wrote:

Except Denmark and, I believe, Norway.

Do you have a reference to this? I can’t find any mention of a mode S requirement in either AIP-Norway or AIP-Denmark, except for helicopters in offshore operations.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

LeSving wrote:

Quire a story actually,

I’d love to hear that – sounds very interesting… especially the way you got rid of him

Last Edited by Cobalt at 06 Mar 21:05
Biggin Hill

Cobalt wrote:

I’d love to hear that

Some things are better left off the internet.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Airborne_Again wrote:

Do you have a reference to this? I can’t find any mention of a mode S requirement in either AIP-Norway or AIP-Denmark, except for helicopters in offshore operations.

I thought you were referring to experimental IFR. LeSving has corrected me on Norway, but I sincerely doubt that the Danes would allow it before being forced by EASA…and even then, they would probably resist.

EGTR

Is there any Lancair 4P for sale in EU? Preferred N-reg

Latvia

Maybe on Planecheck?

I used to look at these but gave up upon realising there is really no way to legally fly them around Europe. It’s same as the Evolution, which is much more capable but just as limited legally. In Europe, it’s just a toy you keep in a hangar and pull out on a nice day, probably to go to a Lancair fly-in

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I used to look at these but gave up upon realising there is really no way to legally fly them around Europe

They seem to work nicely in the US, everything you need in one big country, I come across 2 people who got Lancair IV-TP after selling their top end Mooneys, they claim the overall cost per mile to be similar on 500nm missions (even for Tuboprop version??), so mostly speed and time gain !

Last Edited by Ibra at 14 Sep 12:20
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

There are some Lancair IV P in Switzerland. I understand they are quite a handfull to fly and could, even if intended, never have been certified. Limited rudder authority (small rudder for a huge engine) and abundance of power means, directional control on take off is marginal and the usual technique is to increase power gradually during the take off roll in order not to loose control. Apparently uses a lot of runway as a consequence.

Reading about them does not really inspire confidence. It certainly is not an airplane for the novice or average pilot.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
Sign in to add your message